X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Could you just fuck off with your anti-systemd crap? This is an unrelated thread.
    No thanks,
    But I kindly offer you, the same amount you offered me..

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Nope... a lot more than a decade. *Git* is nearly fifteen years old now... SVN was the new kid back in ~2001 when it started slowly displacing CVS, but that was a _long_ time ago now.
    Heck, some devs still use CVS! Not sure why, though.

And don't forget HG, some devs still think it's better than Git lol

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
    ... the GCC people might not require a totally perfect transition.
    Herein lies the crux of the biscuit.

The GCC people insist that a complete history of attribution be carried across between repos, and that has been the heart of the difficulties encountered by ESR. It's not a simple ontological mapping between the SVN and the git fields, and trying to map the author in the ChangeLog entry of an SVN commit into the author and committer fields of a git commit is nontrivial, especially in light of people changing their names and email addresses over decades of contributions.

I suspect the "simple 300 line scripts" are more likely "simplistic 300 line scripts" that fail to meet the criteria of the job and are just phoronix-headline-grabbing feedstock.

Leave a comment:

• Blahblah
    replied
    Looks like the developer in questions says that the scripts have not been fully tested yet, and they have had to be restarted a few times to fix edge cases. I think this is going to be a case of 95% working taking 2 weeks, and 99.9% working taking 2 years. Albeit, the GCC people might not require a totally perfect transition.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post

I'm genuinely unsure if this is English.
    he is a russian bot

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Well,
    I think we could say the same about SystemD.

Over complicated, gigantic process that never ends, were a set of scripts the Job is done..
    Could you just fuck off with your anti-systemd crap? This is an unrelated thread.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied
    I'm shocked I say, that ESR was full of shit with his "ram" excuses.

Leave a comment:

• Terrablit
    replied
    Linaro developer Maxim Kuvyrkov has jumped on the task of converting the GCC repository from SVN to Git and did so without much fuss.
    I would be massively entertained if somebody else got the job done while ESR was still caught up in another fit of blaming his tools.

Leave a comment:

• RomuloP
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

OfCourse,
    That project is his own research, is a life project, like systemd is.. created to maintain in his spare time, or to just kid around..

Then someone that needs the things done, do a mere script with 300 lines of bash code, and the job is done..
    I never converted a repository with millions of lines and 100 000 more commits so I really cannot tell if a 300 line script can do the job cleanly, by giving a look at git-svn source, I guess not, also it appears to ignore most of SVN properties. Anyway, we do not know what exactly are their needs.

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    And yes, I remember a time when SVN was the new cool kid on the block. Like a decade ago.
    Nope... a lot more than a decade. *Git* is nearly fifteen years old now... SVN was the new kid back in ~2001 when it started slowly displacing CVS, but that was a _long_ time ago now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X