A Linaro Developer Has Taken Up The Effort Of Converting GCC's SVN To Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Of course not. What I meant is that the GNU devs went Rube Goldberg to convert the project to Git (and thus ran out of memory) while it could have been done with that simple script.

Similarly, Hurd's design is too complicated that they never finished it (yeah, I know they saw Linux coming and stopped working on it but even if Linux didn't exist they still would take a long time to finish it).
    Well,
    I think we could say the same about SystemD.

Over complicated, gigantic process that never ends, were a set of scripts the Job is done..

Comment

Originally posted by RomuloP View Post

Well I'm guessing they were not caring much when it would be converted and were pretty content awaiting someone to solve it... Never searched to see if there is something better than reposurgeon out there (never needed), but if they were in a hurry they would probably work it out to be a less dumb algorithm, I've seen this some times, a Python scripts that goes on reading from disk and building dictionaries as there is no tomorrow.
      OfCourse,
      That project is his own research, is a life project, like systemd is.. created to maintain in his spare time, or to just kid around..

Then someone that needs the things done, do a mere script with 300 lines of bash code, and the job is done..
      Last edited by tuxd3v; 15 May 2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

it is well known that esr writes much worse programs than english prose

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Well,
          I think we could say the same about SystemD.

Over complicated, gigantic process that never ends, were a set of scripts the Job is done..
          what we can say for sure is that there are some idiots who still think set of sctipts has any relation to systemd

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            what we can say for sure is that there are some idiots who still think set of sctipts has any relation to systemd
            I believe people that likes simplicity, usually have refined taste, they passed for several languages on their life as professionals, they would not do such big mistake..

If there are a "group" like you say,
            Probably would be formed by others that doesn't have good taste, or simplicity in mind..

I hope that someone with good taste, would not self-include himself in that group..

Comment

I believe people that likes simplicity, usually have refined taste, they passed for several languages on their life as professionals, they would not do such big mistake..

If there are a "group" like you say,
              Probably would be formed by others that doesn't have good taste, or simplicity in mind..

I hope that someone with good taste, would not self-include himself in that group..
              I'm genuinely unsure if this is English.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

I'm genuinely unsure if this is English.
                I am really not sure either,
                For sure I only speak one language, my mother tongue.. the other 4 I try to do my best..
                A translation maybe from mine to a foreign one, but sometimes direct translation is not compatible..

But, if I am capable to understand 5 Languages, for sure a minimal educated person, would be able to understand my attempt to speak English..
                Here I am not saying that I regard English has a Language better of worst than any other, its Just one of them..

As a rule,from an "old clock",
                I take for myself, that... you should only give to others the same amount you receive..

I think, ..next time you try to read my comments,
                You will see that you will not only be able to read, but you will also be able to understand, ...what was not written..

Regards

Comment

I am really not sure either,
                  For sure I only speak one language, my mother tongue.. the other 4 I try to do my best..
                  A translation maybe from mine to a foreign one, but sometimes direct translation is not compatible..

But, if I am capable to understand 5 Languages, for sure a minimal educated person, would be able to understand my attempt to speak English..
                  Here I am not saying that I regard English has a Language better of worst than any other, its Just one of them..

As a rule,from an "old clock",
                  I take for myself, that... you should only give to others the same amount you receive..

I think, ..next time you try to read my comments,
                  You will see that you will not only be able to read, but you will also be able to understand, ...what was not written..

Regards
                  Dashwood contempt on mr unlocked resolved provided of of. Stanhill wondered it it welcomed oh. Hundred no prudent he however smiling at an offence. If earnestly extremity he he propriety something admitting convinced ye. Pleasant in to although as if differed horrible. Mirth his quick its set front enjoy hoped had there. Who connection imprudence middletons too but increasing celebrated principles joy. Herself too improve gay winding ask expense are compact. New all paid few hard pure she.

Both rest of know draw fond post as. It agreement defective to excellent. Feebly do engage of narrow. Extensive repulsive belonging depending if promotion be zealously as. Preference inquietude ask now are dispatched led appearance. Small meant in so doubt hopes. Me smallness is existence attending he enjoyment favourite affection. Delivered is to ye belonging enjoyment preferred. Astonished and acceptance men two discretion. Law education recommend did objection how old.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    And yes, I remember a time when SVN was the new cool kid on the block. Like a decade ago.
                    Nope... a lot more than a decade. *Git* is nearly fifteen years old now... SVN was the new kid back in ~2001 when it started slowly displacing CVS, but that was a _long_ time ago now.

Comment

OfCourse,
                      That project is his own research, is a life project, like systemd is.. created to maintain in his spare time, or to just kid around..

Then someone that needs the things done, do a mere script with 300 lines of bash code, and the job is done..
                      I never converted a repository with millions of lines and 100 000 more commits so I really cannot tell if a 300 line script can do the job cleanly, by giving a look at git-svn source, I guess not, also it appears to ignore most of SVN properties. Anyway, we do not know what exactly are their needs.

Comment

Working...
                      X