A Linaro Developer Has Taken Up The Effort Of Converting GCC's SVN To Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Linaro Developer Has Taken Up The Effort Of Converting GCC's SVN To Git

Phoronix: A Linaro Developer Has Taken Up The Effort Of Converting GCC's SVN To Git

The lengthy battle of converting the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) to using a Git workflow from SVN might be getting closer to finally culminating... Linaro developer Maxim Kuvyrkov has jumped on the task of converting the GCC repository from SVN to Git and did so without much fuss...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNU: Doing Things The Unnecessarily Complex Way

Comment

The ESR story was quite jolly good actually. People know him from intercal. What can you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        GNU: Doing Things The Unnecessarily Complex Way
        You think it is a bad idea to move the project to git?

Comment

Originally posted by RomuloP View Post

You think it is a bad idea to move the project to git?
          Of course not. What I meant is that the GNU devs went Rube Goldberg to convert the project to Git (and thus ran out of memory) while it could have been done with that simple script.

Similarly, Hurd's design is too complicated that they never finished it (yeah, I know they saw Linux coming and stopped working on it but even if Linux didn't exist they still would take a long time to finish it).

Comment

Of course not. What I meant is that the GNU devs went Rube Goldberg to convert the project to Git (and thus ran out of memory) while it could have been done with that simple script.

Similarly, Hurd's design is too complicated that they never finished it (yeah, I know they saw Linux coming and stopped working on it but even if Linux didn't exist they still would take a long time to finish it).
            Well I'm guessing they were not caring much when it would be converted and were pretty content awaiting someone to solve it... Never searched to see if there is something better than reposurgeon out there (never needed), but if they were in a hurry they would probably work it out to be a less dumb algorithm, I've seen this some times, a Python scripts that goes on reading from disk and building dictionaries as there is no tomorrow.

Comment

What's wrong with git-svn? (it worked for me)

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                What's wrong with git-svn? (it worked for me)
                https://git-scm.com/docs/git-svn
                They want to remove the need to for an SVN host which git-svn still has.

And if you mean using it for the conversion, then the article says that went in to an infinite loop.

Comment

ESR is a GNU dev ?

Comment

Whoa, the GCC devs are ballsier than I thought, carrying a project of that size into 2019 on SVN.
                    And yes, I remember a time when SVN was the new cool kid on the block. Like a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X