No announcement yet.

A Linaro Developer Has Taken Up The Effort Of Converting GCC's SVN To Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linaro developer Maxim Kuvyrkov has jumped on the task of converting the GCC repository from SVN to Git and did so without much fuss.
    I would be massively entertained if somebody else got the job done while ESR was still caught up in another fit of blaming his tools.

Comment

I'm shocked I say, that ESR was full of shit with his "ram" excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Well,
        I think we could say the same about SystemD.

Over complicated, gigantic process that never ends, were a set of scripts the Job is done..
        Could you just fuck off with your anti-systemd crap? This is an unrelated thread.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

I'm genuinely unsure if this is English.
          he is a russian bot

Comment

Looks like the developer in questions says that the scripts have not been fully tested yet, and they have had to be restarted a few times to fix edge cases. I think this is going to be a case of 95% working taking 2 weeks, and 99.9% working taking 2 years. Albeit, the GCC people might not require a totally perfect transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
              ... the GCC people might not require a totally perfect transition.
              Herein lies the crux of the biscuit.

The GCC people insist that a complete history of attribution be carried across between repos, and that has been the heart of the difficulties encountered by ESR. It's not a simple ontological mapping between the SVN and the git fields, and trying to map the author in the ChangeLog entry of an SVN commit into the author and committer fields of a git commit is nontrivial, especially in light of people changing their names and email addresses over decades of contributions.

I suspect the "simple 300 line scripts" are more likely "simplistic 300 line scripts" that fail to meet the criteria of the job and are just phoronix-headline-grabbing feedstock.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Nope... a lot more than a decade. *Git* is nearly fifteen years old now... SVN was the new kid back in ~2001 when it started slowly displacing CVS, but that was a _long_ time ago now.
                Heck, some devs still use CVS! Not sure why, though.

And don't forget HG, some devs still think it's better than Git lol

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Could you just fuck off with your anti-systemd crap? This is an unrelated thread.
                  No thanks,
                  But I kindly offer you, the same amount you offered me..

Comment

Meanwhile, https://gcc.gnu.org/ responds with 403.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                      What's wrong with git-svn? (it worked for me)
                      https://git-scm.com/docs/git-svn
                      If you read up on git-svn, you will find that it is more of a git to svn bridge, allowing users to use git with a repository "cloned" from svn, but which in the end still requires some SVNish steps for project submission. Its scope is severely limited, and only rarely allows for the creation a solid history preserving all sorts of things that do not map 1-1 between svn and git.

Comment

Working...
                      X