Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 9.1 Released As Huge Compiler Update With D Language, Zen 2, OpenMP 5, C++2A, C2X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    I'm very politely asking you ...
    Then where is your question?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Then where is your question?
      Why are you so adamantly defending D as something to be respected as an industry standard when it is in fact not? I'm not trying to downplay D, it's a very interesting language, and as I've said, a decade ago, I was extremely excited for it. But now the market has shown no interest in it. That isn't to say the language is invalid, people still use it, and I'm happy about that, and I hope it continues to excel. But right now, not many major companies or projects are utilizing it, so there isn't much concern for it right now in the market. Yes, if you would ask me if I'd be glad to replace C++ with D for any given project, I'd gladly say yes. I'd be more reluctant to say the same for Rust or C#/.NET Core, but that's not an immediate no, rather, a case-by-case basis depending on how the respective codebase for said project is engineered for it's respective runtime. In other words, it might not make sense to magically replace a codebase from one language to another if the project itself wasn't designed and engineered for said language.
      So, with these implications, I must inquire as to why you're acting so unreasonably defendant for D, despite it's quirky disposition in the market?

Comment

So, with these implications, I must inquire as to why you're acting so unreasonably defendant for D, despite it's quirky disposition in the market?
        So you think I'm being unreasonable ... Some kids believe last years iPhone is old and they need the new one. Are they being reasonable?

Comment

So you think I'm being unreasonable ... Some kids believe last years iPhone is old and they need the new one. Are they being reasonable?
          I must insist you do not push the burden of proof on me, especially through the use of allegories. Again, D is a great language. But this is a discussion about the market, and the market does not seem to consider D. This is not a reflection of my tastes or opinions, it's simply an observation.

Comment

I must insist you do not push the burden of proof on me ...
            So I'm not being unreasonable to say that D is new.

Comment

It's a new programming language.
              it's almost 20 years old. by that count c++ is new language. c# was exactly as new year ago. java was exactly as new 6 years ago
              Last edited by pal666; 06 May 2019, 09:04 AM.

Comment

So I'm not being unreasonable to say that D is new.
                another unreasonable claim in long list of your unreasonable claims

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                  another unreasonable claim in long list of your unreasonable claims
                  Said nobody, said the kid who wanted a new iPhone, who itself was new and knew little else than dates.
                  Last edited by sdack; 06 May 2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it's almost 20 years old. ...
                    That's an age and ironically also all you know about D. What you don't know is why something can still be new.

Comment

I have to say, I am pretty impressed the D team managed to make a language that bypasses all know laws of the universal continuum to make a language that can never age. I wonder if the D stands for Dracula.

Comment

Working...
                      X