No announcement yet.

Facebook Is JIT'ing C++ Code To Treat It Like A Crazy Fast Scripting Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This could be very good for generating more complete information for use by IDE's. If a super fast JIT compiler was providing the information it'd be a lot more responsive updating type information etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Iksf View Post
      This could be very good for generating more complete information for use by IDE's. If a super fast JIT compiler was providing the information it'd be a lot more responsive updating type information etc.
      We already have that, it's called clangd

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Wasn't Epic looking at the idea of a scripting language in UE4 to compliment and go between C++ and Blueprint?

This could be ideal? And then in release the C++ could be compiled like normal to avoid any overhead.
        They have Live++ now, what goes in a similar direction.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post

They have Live++ now, what goes in a similar direction.
          I believe Live++ is Windows only (and worse, Microsoft VC++ specific :/, though Clang support is being worked on).

It speeds up the compilation time but I don't think it would ever be suitable for a scripting language.

If they could use C++ as a scripting language, it could remove the need for Python and others, etc. It would keep things homogeneous and "simple".
          Last edited by kpedersen; 28 April 2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            That is one option indeed, since 1991.
            Another option is Lua, since 1993..

Speaking About Lua,
            You already have:
            Luajit,
            also Terra Language, that can be LLVM jit compiled( and for what it seems that are some cases were its faster than C, and others were it stays at 5% performance penalty of C Language.. and so, faster than C++ )
            Pallene another one, that can be compiled to LLVM IR, and then jit compiled..

So lots of options here..
            lua rocks !
            Especially when it's used inside nginx.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post

We already have that, it's called clangd
              Which is limited by the speed of clang's C++ compilation, the info appears but it can take a sec, especially on older machines (or even just not amazing machines on decently sized projects)

Comment

If they eventually release some code that contains good ideas for speeding up C++ compilation, that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Totally useless for me, but I can't wait to be able to play with it just for fun.
                  I wouldn't say that yet, a good JIT could do PGO, it could ultimately get C++ with all the batteries included higher level constructs to run closer to C speed.

Comment

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
                    lua rocks !
                    Especially when it's used inside nginx.
                    Inside nginx, and outside it..
                    Its a very well designed language from the beginning..
                    A lot of Languages run circles around themselves to do something... that could be done strait away, using less cpu cycles, if they were well designed from the beginning..

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post

I wouldn't say that yet, a good JIT could do PGO, it could ultimately get C++ with all the batteries included higher level constructs to run closer to C speed.
                      That is true, but only wen everything runs well..
                      A good PGO Jit, could also kills your application performance..

In that case, C++ will have bash interpreter like performance..

Comment

Working...
                      X