No announcement yet.

Facebook Is JIT'ing C++ Code To Treat It Like A Crazy Fast Scripting Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Is JIT'ing C++ Code To Treat It Like A Crazy Fast Scripting Language

Phoronix: Facebook Is JIT'ing C++ Code To Treat It Like A Crazy Fast Scripting Language

Facebook has worked on various programming language innovations over the years from all their work on HHVM at a time when PHP was slow to working on a super fast C/C++ pre-processor to other open-source language work. Their latest work in this area is on supporting just-in-time compilation of C++ code to treat it like a scripting language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Totally useless for me, but I can't wait to be able to play with it just for fun.

Comment

interestingly just what I vlog'ed yesterday, minus the scripting and more of a pre-compiled byte-code setup though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VZmXO381HQ

Comment

Well, if you want an open-source C++ JIT today and don't mind dealing with a big bunch of legacy cruft, there's always the option of using CERN's ROOT...

Comment

One does not necessarily need to deal with the cruft, xeus-cling is on conda-forge and can even be tried out in the browser (just click the binder link in the README here: https://github.com/QuantStack/xeus-cling)

Comment

And here i was thinking java...

Comment

Wasn't Epic looking at the idea of a scripting language in UE4 to compliment and go between C++ and Blueprint?

This could be ideal? And then in release the C++ could be compiled like normal to avoid any overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
                And here i was thinking java...
                That is one option indeed, since 1991.
                Another option is Lua, since 1993..

Speaking About Lua,
                You already have:
                Luajit,
                also Terra Language, that can be LLVM jit compiled( and for what it seems that are some cases were its faster than C, and others were it stays at 5% performance penalty of C Language.. and so, faster than C++ )
                Pallene another one, that can be compiled to LLVM IR, and then jit compiled..

So lots of options here..

Comment

Looks like someone took a page from the Varnish book

Comment

TinyC (tcc) sort of did this decades ago for C because it compiles fast as hell. It's pretty cool but ultimately can not match the optimization of more complete compilers.

Comment

Working...
                    X