No announcement yet.

Facebook Is JIT'ing C++ Code To Treat It Like A Crazy Fast Scripting Language

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Is JIT'ing C++ Code To Treat It Like A Crazy Fast Scripting Language

Phoronix: Facebook Is JIT'ing C++ Code To Treat It Like A Crazy Fast Scripting Language

Facebook has worked on various programming language innovations over the years from all their work on HHVM at a time when PHP was slow to working on a super fast C/C++ pre-processor to other open-source language work. Their latest work in this area is on supporting just-in-time compilation of C++ code to treat it like a scripting language...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Cpp-Scripting

Totally useless for me, but I can't wait to be able to play with it just for fun.

Comment

interestingly just what I vlog'ed yesterday, minus the scripting and more of a pre-compiled byte-code setup though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VZmXO381HQ

Comment

Well, if you want an open-source C++ JIT today and don't mind dealing with a big bunch of legacy cruft, there's always the option of using CERN's ROOT...

Comment

One does not necessarily need to deal with the cruft, xeus-cling is on conda-forge and can even be tried out in the browser (just click the binder link in the README here: https://github.com/QuantStack/xeus-cling)

Comment

And here i was thinking java...

Comment

Wasn't Epic looking at the idea of a scripting language in UE4 to compliment and go between C++ and Blueprint?

This could be ideal? And then in release the C++ could be compiled like normal to avoid any overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
                And here i was thinking java...
                That is one option indeed, since 1991.
                Another option is Lua, since 1993..

Speaking About Lua,
                You already have:
                Luajit,
                also Terra Language, that can be LLVM jit compiled( and for what it seems that are some cases were its faster than C, and others were it stays at 5% performance penalty of C Language.. and so, faster than C++ )
                Pallene another one, that can be compiled to LLVM IR, and then jit compiled..

So lots of options here..

Comment

Looks like someone took a page from the Varnish book

Comment

TinyC (tcc) sort of did this decades ago for C because it compiles fast as hell. It's pretty cool but ultimately can not match the optimization of more complete compilers.

Comment

Working...
                    X