Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMandriva Is Finding Great Success In Their Switch To Using LLVM's Clang Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Personally I'm just eager for a Linux without anything GNU so people will stop harassing strangers on how they should refer to it. Was never one for politics, that's why I avoid twitter as well. I don't like being harassed for simply what I'm thinking.
    It's not harassment to point out that GNU/Linux is the proper name for the desktop OS people often refer to as just "Linux". You don't even have to subscribe to the whole GNU / Free Software philosophy to decide to call it by its proper name. I'm not really into the whole GNU / GPL / Free Software stuff, but I recognise that I only have the GNU/Linux desktop I have today because of Stallman and the people who work with him to bring us a "fully free" UNIX-like OS.

It makes sense to call it GNU/Linux purely for practical reasons.
    • The Google Pixel 3 phone runs Android which is not GNU/Linux. It just uses the Linux kernel.
    • The Purism Librem 5 phone runs PureOS which is GNU/Linux: the GNU OS with the Linux kernel.
    I'm not pushing an agenda or promoting GNU. I'm just stating the truth.

I think people can think more clearly and thus operate more effectively when they are aligned with truth.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

It's not harassment to point out that GNU/Linux is the proper name for the desktop OS people often refer to as just "Linux". You don't even have to subscribe to the whole GNU / Free Software philosophy to decide to call it by its proper name. I'm not really into the whole GNU / GPL / Free Software stuff, but I recognise that I only have the GNU/Linux desktop I have today because of Stallman and the people who work with him to bring us a "fully free" UNIX-like OS.

It makes sense to call it GNU/Linux purely for practical reasons.
      • The Google Pixel 3 phone runs Android which is not GNU/Linux. It just uses the Linux kernel.
      • The Purism Librem 5 phone runs PureOS which is GNU/Linux: the GNU OS with the Linux kernel.
      I'm not pushing an agenda or promoting GNU. I'm just stating the truth.

I think people can think more clearly and thus operate more effectively when they are aligned with truth.
      Don't take what I said the wrong way, you can call it whatever you want, I've got no problem with the GNU/Linux name, I know all about GNU's history and have thoroughly read Free as in Freedom (2.0). I just find it ludicrous there are people out there who try to enforce that naming scheme on others for no practical reason. Free as in Freedom states it's to combine the GNU crowd with the Linux crowd so they won't be so split. I kind of find the action to be even more dividing and it only pushes me further away from the GNU project. I appreciate a philosophy or movement when it stands by my side and aids me, not stands in front of me and dictates me. It's also why I, personally, I do not appreciate the GPL. At the end of the day, I just want to get work done, I hate all these politics getting in the way of it. I deal with enough headaches with corporate and governmental policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
        ... equivalent of letting strangers having sex with your wife while you stand there with your penis caged.
        You say it like it's a bad thing

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
          Is OpenMandriva also using llvm libc++ instead of libstdc++ ?
          Spoiler alert, it is mentioned in the slides.

Comment

I'm not sure why you people seem so invested in programs or having unquestionable control over them, but for people in the business world who just want to make a tool, use a tool and get stuff done
            I am pretty sure the free software communities started precisely when they couldn't do this. AFAIK it was a printer driver that prevented Stallman from doing what he needed to do.

The "Problem" with LLVM is that it has big business support precisely because it is not GPL (V3). The big businesses want the ability to screw their customers over should it become a profitable avenue. They want their silos.

While that may be beneficial to a specific business it ends up screwing over the ecosystem - look at the ARM world. Because all the SOC's and companies built their own silos even when most use the same components most SoC companies need their own build with a specific version of the software because that is how their silo operates and doing anything outside there is 100x as hard.

There is a similar risk with Google Chrome - those that remember the days of IE6 dominance should shudder at the thought. It took years of work to overcome the damage that caused. As some governments had mandates online platforms that were designed to only working with IE6, it meant it stood around for far longer than it should have.
            Last edited by You-; 28 April 2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

I use just KDE as my desktop

Comment

Don't take what I said the wrong way, you can call it whatever you want, I've got no problem with the GNU/Linux name, I know all about GNU's history and have thoroughly read Free as in Freedom (2.0). I just find it ludicrous there are people out there who try to enforce that naming scheme on others for no practical reason. Free as in Freedom states it's to combine the GNU crowd with the Linux crowd so they won't be so split. I kind of find the action to be even more dividing and it only pushes me further away from the GNU project. I appreciate a philosophy or movement when it stands by my side and aids me, not stands in front of me and dictates me. It's also why I, personally, I do not appreciate the GPL. At the end of the day, I just want to get work done, I hate all these politics getting in the way of it. I deal with enough headaches with corporate and governmental policies.
                Thanks for your clarification. I think I have similar views to you in some ways.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  The "Problem" with LLVM is that it has big business support precisely because it is not GPL (V3). The big businesses want the ability to screw their customers over should it become a profitable avenue. They want their silos.
                  I don't remember the time frame, something like 30 or 60 days, but with GPL (V??) that is the amount of time a project can release something and still keep its sources closed. If you're AMD and Sony or Microsoft, there might be some hacks in place specific to their platforms and they might not want that code released, they could be using the consoles as a driver testing platform, etc. Going with GPL, that isn't something they can do.

Don't get me wrong, it really screws us with Android Phone and SBC modding when companies don't actually release all their sources or use odd firmware/software combinations and that pisses me off.

It can be used for good and bad, that's all.

Comment

I'm not sure why you people seem so invested in programs or having unquestionable control over them, but for people in the business world who just want to make a tool, use a tool and get stuff done, it's not like fucking someone's wife, it's a business decision. I don't have any problem with publishing something under BSD/MIT and neither do major corporations like IBM and Microsoft. Go ahead and use my code, contribute if you want, or don't, I don't care, I'm not running a GNU/Cult.

Personally I'm just eager for a Linux without anything GNU so people will stop harassing strangers on how they should refer to it. Was never one for politics, that's why I avoid twitter as well. I don't like being harassed for simply what I'm thinking.
                    Can I take your stuff, put a header on top with my copyright and pretend I built it all? Oh wait, that's what Apple did...

That's the reason people distruct BSD-alike licenses.

Comment

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, systemd/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, systemd plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning systemd system made useful by the systemd binaries, audio server and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by Lennart Poettering.

Comment

Working...
                      X