Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMandriva Is Finding Great Success In Their Switch To Using LLVM's Clang Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Is Finding Great Success In Their Switch To Using LLVM's Clang Compiler

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Is Finding Great Success In Their Switch To Using LLVM's Clang Compiler

OpenMandriva remains among the few Linux distributions using the LLVM Clang compiler by default where possible in place of the GCC compiler. While at times it's difficult in maintaining this combination, they continue to find great success in using Clang as their default compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo in the URL: OpenMandrova

Comment

Pretty interesting.

I have to wonder ne’er which projects are so hostile to LLVM/CLang? It is a pretty stupid attitude to have and it might serve the community to avoid those projects.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Pretty interesting.

I have to wonder ne’er which projects are so hostile to LLVM/CLang? It is a pretty stupid attitude to have and it might serve the community to avoid those projects.
        Some projects have the attitude where they consider GPL to be inherently bad, and people like me denounce them. If someone wants to drop GCC because they hate GNU (consider OpenBSD), I will just call them dense and laugh at their permissive license that allows others to screw them over.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Some projects have the attitude where they consider GPL to be inherently bad, and people like me denounce them. If someone wants to drop GCC because they hate GNU (consider OpenBSD), I will just call them dense and laugh at their permissive license that allows others to screw them over.
          True.
          Using a permissive licence is the real world equivalent of letting strangers having sex with your wife while you stand there with your penis caged.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Pretty interesting.

some stuff is also simply extremely vintage, and not updated in a decade, also some low-level stuff relies on GCC special features, extensions or behaviour, that Clang currently simple does not yet implement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9hYZSjgA4Q

Comment

I'd want to switch to Clang too just for that fancy dragon.

Comment

It would be interesting to have some numbers on the compile times and binary sizes. In my testing GCC is usually slower on optimized build times only with debug info enabled and faster without or with LTO. GCC's debug info for optimized builds is however more detailed than Clang's, so comparing these is a tricky busyiness https://robert.ocallahan.org/2018/11...formation.html

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Originally posted by Cape View Post

True.
                  Using a permissive licence is the real world equivalent of letting strangers having sex with your wife while you stand there with your penis caged.
                  I'm not sure why you people seem so invested in programs or having unquestionable control over them, but for people in the business world who just want to make a tool, use a tool and get stuff done, it's not like fucking someone's wife, it's a business decision. I don't have any problem with publishing something under BSD/MIT and neither do major corporations like IBM and Microsoft. Go ahead and use my code, contribute if you want, or don't, I don't care, I'm not running a GNU/Cult.

Personally I'm just eager for a Linux without anything GNU so people will stop harassing strangers on how they should refer to it. Was never one for politics, that's why I avoid twitter as well. I don't like being harassed for simply what I'm thinking.

Comment

Is OpenMandriva also using llvm libc++ instead of libstdc++ ?

Comment

Working...
                    X