Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 9 Will Be Released Soon With AMD Zen 2 Support, Radeon GCN Back-End, D Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 9 Will Be Released Soon With AMD Zen 2 Support, Radeon GCN Back-End, D Language

Phoronix: GCC 9 Will Be Released Soon With AMD Zen 2 Support, Radeon GCN Back-End, D Language

GNU Compiler Collection 9 (GCC 9) will be formally released in the coming weeks as version 9.1. With GCC 9 are many big improvements as the annual update to this longest serving free software code compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One new feature that hasn't been mentioned and which I'm particularly interested in are the extend alignment options:

"The alignment-related options -falign-functions, -falign-labels, -falign-loops, and -falign-jumps received support for a secondary alignment (e.g. -falign-loops=n:m:n2:m2)."

It's still far from optimal, but being able to at least specify a second, alternative alignment for functions and loops will allow to make better use of instruction cache, prefetcher and decoder characteristics. It just sucks when a piece of code runs badly only because it happens to sit on an important boundary and eats up unnecessary CPU cycles. I'm curious if they've already added good defaults for these or if one still has to put them in oneself.

Comment

And I remember people up here a month after Ryzen's release saying "aren't the optimizations done yet??" No.. it takes a long time and most distros build with older compiler versions.. and they don't enable these flags anyhow (Has Gentoo moved past GCC 6.5~ yet?)

Comment

sys-devel/gcc-8.3.0:8.3.0::gentoo

Comment

Originally posted by Desti View Post
          sys-devel/gcc-8.3.0:8.3.0::gentoo
          And portage actually uses that? Just having the package does not mean it's built with it.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

And portage actually uses that? Just having the package does not mean it's built with it.
            Looks like stable is on 8.2, and testing is on 8.3.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I have system built with it, including kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

I have system built with it, including kernel.
                ditto

Comment

Working...
                X