No announcement yet.

GCC 9 libstdc++ Lands The C++17 Parallel Algorithms Implementation From Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 9 libstdc++ Lands The C++17 Parallel Algorithms Implementation From Intel

Phoronix: GCC 9 libstdc++ Lands The C++17 Parallel Algorithms Implementation From Intel

While the release of GCC 9 (v9.1) is just a few weeks ago, a late addition to this annual compiler collection update is its C++ standard library now having a C++17 parallel algorithms implementation thanks to Intel developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are they also aiming to add this to llvm libc++?

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
      Are they also aiming to add this to llvm libc++?
      Michael's last link contains this:
      This is the Intel implementation of the C++17 parallel
      algorithms, which has been donated to both GCC and LLVM. The upstream
      project is at -

https://reviews.llvm.org/source/pstl/
      So I guess the answer to your question is yes

And in fact when looking with the project name, Michael already published this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...lel-STL-Commit

Comment

PSTL is disabled by default in both LLVM and GCC since it requires TBB (which is not part of the compilers).

Comment

If it requires tbb, that kind of sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
            I see that now TBB is open source:

oneAPI Threading Building Blocks (oneTBB). Contribute to oneapi-src/oneTBB development by creating an account on GitHub.

Therefore I do not think that there is any reason for PSTL to suck.

Moreover, looking at the source of TBB, I see that TBB not only supports Intel processors, but also IBM POWER processors and it appears that it would be easy to port it to other architectures, e.g. ARM.

Comment

> While the release of GCC 9 (v9.1) is just a few weeks ago

Away?

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
                TBB is great, it worked very well for me so far. PSTL supports several backends, and ships with a TBB backend. So other backends are not that hard to add. OpenMP might be sensible as it also ships with the compiler.

Comment

Working...
                X