No announcement yet.

Coroutines & Modules Added For C++20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These latest changes come on top of other previously approved additions including C++ concepts, designated initializers, ranges, a revised memory model
    What is this exactly? I couldn't find or I missed any mention of it in Herb Sutter's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post
      From how I understand modules to work, it is left up to the compiler to pass the necessary information (AST etc) between modules where necessary, instead of being the job of the preprocessor - which just naively inlines the entire header and all its includes.
      Skipping the preprocessor here speeds up compiling immensely as you no longer need to parse headers more than once between correctly built modules, but you still get full visibility into the definition, just as an AST or other compiler-friendly datastructure.
      Sure, but I was responding to Guest 's complaint that the compiler needs to know the types of members in classes you want to use. Whether it's by including a header or importing a module, many uses of classes will still require this visibility.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post
        What is this exactly? I couldn't find or I missed any mention of it in Herb Sutter's post.
        Perhaps this?

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...8/p0668r4.html

I do wonder how much ARM's improved energy efficiency vs. x86 derives from its looser memory consistency model.

I know GPUs benefit greatly from relaxed memory consistency, but it means you can't do things like instruction-level traps.
        Last edited by coder; 24 February 2019, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

There was an unanimous decision to make memory allocation "noexcept" in combination simpler exception handling (always throwing a known type like std::error, http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...18/p0709r0.pdf).
          I would guess this is referenced, but I haven been through the report yet

Comment

So now the culprit are the buildsystems to support modules.Hope they collectively get their s..tuff together in time, and we wont end up with some broken concept in '20.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              Hope they collectively get their s..tuff together in time, and we wont end up with some broken concept in '20.
              Whilst I am not a fan of the modules idea (I fear it will end up turning C++ into a Javascript-like dependency cluster-fsck), however you raise a very good point. C++20 is only the start of the journey, it is the build systems that people actually use that really need to do a large proportion of the work (Very few people call the clang compiler directly for example).

We will have a large problem at work where some of our compilers will remain old for our legacy requirements, and some will be c++20 one day. It is going to seriously complicate the build system having to use modules for some projects and traditional headers/libs for another.

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
              I certainly do not like every programming paradigm that has made it into the C++ standard, but the great thing about C++ is that it does not force you to follow one particular paradigm
              Well said. It gets to the point where not every aspect of a tool needs to be nice... it just needs to "be there and be working" unlike those other "hype" languages that you mentioned.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 24 February 2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

For those wondering about the current C++20 state in the GCC compiler can see this status matrix as well as the Clang status.
                Why not a link to the current C++20 state in the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ compiler?
                They have a webpage:
                Visual C++ Language Conformance
                https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...ge-conformance

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                  The use cases are (class T):
                  1. Accessing a T's field directly
                  2. Calling a function/method/constructor/destructor which uses the inline keyword and accesses a T's field
                  3. Instantiating T on the stack - although after some though this still does not require the knowledge of T's fields, just the knowledge of T's size and alignment
                  4. Static variables of type T - although after some though this still does not require the knowledge of T's fields, just the knowledge of T's size and alignment
                  The only use cases are just 1 and 2. This slightly contradicts your statement that there are many uses of classes which still require the visibility.

For template classes, the use cases are still just 1 and 2.
                  Yeah, no. It's called name mangling.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

From how I understand modules to work, it is left up to the compiler to pass the necessary information (AST etc) between modules where necessary, instead of being the job of the preprocessor - which just naively inlines the entire header and all its includes.
                    Skipping the preprocessor here speeds up compiling immensely as you no longer need to parse headers more than once between correctly built modules, but you still get full visibility into the definition, just as an AST or other compiler-friendly datastructure.
                    In fact you will still need to declare the class/methods you want to export in a specific part of our code (I think they call it the module preambule). The compiler won't compute it for you. So this is still better that the #include model because you won't have the header files textually included in our files, but it won't save you from having the declaration and the implementation defined in different places. (Note that this is a reason why I'm not really excited about modules).

Comment

Originally posted by bountykiller View Post

In fact you will still need to declare the class/methods you want to export in a specific part of our code (I think they call it the module preambule). The compiler won't compute it for you. So this is still better that the #include model because you won't have the header files textually included in our files, but it won't save you from having the declaration and the implementation defined in different places. (Note that this is a reason why I'm not really excited about modules).
                      so you cant import a module? the compiler should be able to use the same information that a header contains (except for macros and certain templates but those shouldnt exist in C++ anyway)

Comment

Working...
                      X