Asm-goto Support Added To LLVM, Helping Out Clang'ing Kernel Efforts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asm-goto Support Added To LLVM, Helping Out Clang'ing Kernel Efforts

Phoronix: Asm-goto Support Added To LLVM, Helping Out Clang'ing Kernel Efforts

LLVM has merged its support finally for supporting "asm goto" with this inline Assembly support needed for building the Linux x86/x86_64 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still pretty much work to do https://github.com/ClangBuiltLinux/linux/issues

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      We know that 88 issues is one less as it includes the aformentioned asm-goto as an open issue. See page 4.

Comment

As long as the Kernel is still built with both GCC and Clang things will improve, however building Chromium with GCC these days is near impossible, Google no longer tests it, so it breaks often

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          As long as the Kernel is still built with both GCC and Clang things will improve, however building Chromium with GCC these days is near impossible, Google no longer tests it, so it breaks often
          Last time I checked, atleast debian and ubuntu build Chromium (and pretty much everything else) with gcc.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

We know that 88 issues is one less as it includes the aformentioned asm-goto as an open issue. See page 4.
            4 pages of open issues from 15 pages of issues opened in the past year, 11 pages closed, it's very active

Comment

It only took this shit-tier compiler 8 years to add this important feature.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

Last time I checked, atleast debian and ubuntu build Chromium (and pretty much everything else) with gcc.
                In addition, I remember that Suse also does build Chromium with GCC. It would also be a great test case for GCC's LTO+PGO implementation on a big code base with a huge user base. So any fruits of this labour would be very well received, too. At least that's why I tried to lobby hubicka to look into Chromium as well after his work is finished on Firefox. No promises were given though. But there still is a chance that we will see some interesting compiler benchmarks and optimization work coming out of this for Chromium in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X