• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Not a problem
    that was beautiful!

Comment

I think there's a typo in the title – there seems to be a "M'kay" missing.

Comment

This sounds like a slightly less aggressive cancer, but still a cancer nonetheless.
        Originally posted by michal
        atom eats 30 of CPU time on my i3-4030 with 2 files opened. on the other hand, Visual Studio 2017 is below 10% when I just edit project files (of course while compilation it eats much more, but we can not compare it, because atom doesn't compile anything except it's fucking js.). recently I had to start using a postman. I wondered why this tool is so fucking slow. I wasn't surprised when I findout that it uses electron. this "technology" is cancer for destop apps.
        Postman started life as a Chrome app, until they killed those off, which explains, but not excuses, it's reliance on Electron.

Comment

I really like the look of the Webview ( https://github.com/zserge/webview ) tech that Michael linked to. However, sadly the dev is re-writing it in C++. This probably means the, tiny, single header C version will be deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            I really like the look of the Webview ( https://github.com/zserge/webview ) tech that Michael linked to. However, sadly the dev is re-writing it in C++. This probably means the, tiny, single header C version will be deprecated.
            he says "code becomes much shorter/cleaner" though.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              he says "code becomes much shorter/cleaner" though.
              That's one potential upside, sure.

Comment

HTML is starting to grow into something nice, for what it is, but the problem is how it is used. I mean, the vast majority of HTML pages are static, but still uses dynamic interpreters so that the same calculations are performed over and over, often hundreds of millions of times. That's the insanity of how we use technology.

If web developers had to pay CO2 taxes on the abuse of client-side resources, I think things would improve just as quickly as they have on the server-side. But in reality, there's no penalty for being stupid on the client-side, because it's the client who pays for it and the client doesn't know better.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                  HTML is starting to grow into something nice, for what it is, but the problem is how it is used. I mean, the vast majority of HTML pages are static, but still uses dynamic interpreters so that the same calculations are performed over and over, often hundreds of millions of times. That's the insanity of how we use technology.

If web developers had to pay CO2 taxes on the abuse of client-side resources, I think things would improve just as quickly as they have on the server-side. But in reality, there's no penalty for being stupid on the client-side, because it's the client who pays for it and the client doesn't know better.

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
                  That applies to any software not just HTML. But I agree. Tax the shit out of them. Any known optimization (recalculation is one such thing) that's not done on purpose due to whatever reason (laziness, "tainting" code, etc) should be taxed or made a criminal offense, because it kills the planet a little bit more when it's ran on clients' PCs.

Likewise is any use of shit-tier bloated and slow languages for non-trivial tasks (again, mostly and especially if it's distributed, if it's for a build script or whatever, then it's more reasonable because millions won't get to execute it).

Tax those fuckers till they learn.
                  Last edited by Weasel; 09 February 2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

well, i will miss my gtk/qt themes and good integrated desktop apps

Comment

Half my problem with these things is that they don't interact natively, which you then have to pile more "framework" on to mitigate because the average developer won't read through all the documents that define the features of a given desktop that they never personally ran into.

For example, I quite like how, on Linux, both Qt and GTK+ apps will give me Windows-style "click to open, click to select" menu interaction if I open a menu with a click, or Mac-style "press to open, drag and release to select" menu interaction if I press the button and then start dragging the cursor.

It's bad enough that Chrome's support for middle-click copy-paste is buggy at best.
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 09 February 2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X