Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcloud
    replied
    One of pain-points of web app is making sure no minor differences between different web engines fucks up the app in some way. I'm pretty sure many web-based stuff bundles its own web view to avoid just that, electron included. Trying to use MSHTML on windows for example is a good way to make it even slower and buggy

Leave a comment:

• GrayShade
    replied
    "One GC good, two GCs better"

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    In all seriousness, I think all these groups looking to use Electron or tools like Electron might instead be better off working to improve existing web technologies or add new web standards. If HTML + CSS + Javascript does 97% of the work in your application, the path of least resistance is to figure out how to get the last 3% working in a browser.

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
    Using the system browser doesn't improve the memory complaints people have, and means you can't ship a known-compatible version. Sure your binary is smaller, but I'm not sure that should be a primary concern.
    I imagine that most of the time people already have the system browser open, right? So this might use as much memory as Electron if it's your only application running, but if you've already got your browser open it adds less than firing up an Electron application. Right?

Leave a comment:

• Termy
    replied
    Why again relying on blink/chromium instead of gecko? i would assume a bundled gecko engine would be much more efficient?

Leave a comment:

• paupav
    replied
    how does it solve problem of apps feeling alien on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

• anarki2
    replied
    That's pretty cool. I also hated shipping 100MB+ for a single page with some JS...

Leave a comment:

• pdffs
    replied
    Using the system browser doesn't improve the memory complaints people have, and means you can't ship a known-compatible version. Sure your binary is smaller, but I'm not sure that should be a primary concern.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    well, colour me interested

Leave a comment:

Working...
X