Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 8/9 vs. LLVM Clang 7/8 Compiler Performance On POWER9 With The Raptor Talos II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 8/9 vs. LLVM Clang 7/8 Compiler Performance On POWER9 With The Raptor Talos II

Phoronix: GCC 8/9 vs. LLVM Clang 7/8 Compiler Performance On POWER9 With The Raptor Talos II

Earlier this week I delivered the results of our largest-ever GCC vs. LLVM Clang Linux x86_64 compiler comparison with a dozen systems from various generations of Intel and AMD CPUs and using 62 benchmarks tested on GCC 8/9 and Clang 7/8 releases. In this article the compiler performance is being looked at for the IBM POWER9 architecture with the benchmarks done on a Raptor Computing Systems Talos II workstation running Ubuntu Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27522

That cachebench result is quite interesting. I'm betting that Clang is using faster builtins for mem* on Power.
    If you recompile cachebench without builtins that would probably even out the result.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      That cachebench result is quite interesting. I'm betting that Clang is using faster builtins for mem* on Power.
      If you recompile cachebench without builtins that would probably even out the result.
      I don't understand, does the use of faster builtins by Clang somehow cheat the benchmark? Or should this be a feature that GCC could implement too?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I don't understand, does the use of faster builtins by Clang somehow cheat the benchmark? Or should this be a feature that GCC could implement too?
        No. Absolutely no cheating. Mem* functions are notoriously difficult to implement without making them greedy prefetchers. Since cachebench is mostly c library mem* and various simple closed loop array walks, compilers should matter less, not more.

Either way, cachebench tests are rather trivial. Tests that stick out like a sore thumb in cachebench between compilers do warrant closer investigation.
        It should be pretty easy to understand why either one is faster compared to more complex source.

Comment

Michael, a typo:
          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          "-O3 -mtune-native mcpu=native"
          Maybe "-mcpu=native" with dash?

Comment

Working...
          X