Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC vs. Clang Compiler Performance On NVIDIA Xavier's Carmel ARMv8 Cores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GCC vs. Clang Compiler Performance On NVIDIA Xavier's Carmel ARMv8 Cores

    Phoronix: GCC vs. Clang Compiler Performance On NVIDIA Xavier's Carmel ARMv8 Cores

    Since receiving the powerful NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier with its ARMv8 Carmel cores on this Tegra194 SoC a while back, it's been quite a fun developer board for benchmarking and various Linux tests. One of the areas I was curious about was whether GCC or Clang would generate faster code for this high performance ARM SoC, so here are some benchmarks.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=27401

  • #2
    Benchmarks are all well & good but the primary reason clang/llvm is used: it's not gpl.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
      Benchmarks are all well & good but the primary reason clang/llvm is used: it's not gpl.
      Why does this matter? The compiler does not affect the license of the compiled program!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by titi View Post

        Why does this matter? The compiler does not affect the license of the compiled program!
        Looks at his name. He is not exactly an independent or sane observer

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
          Benchmarks are all well & good but the primary reason clang/llvm is used
          ...by morons.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by carewolf View Post

            Looks at his name. He is not exactly an independent or sane observer
            Ad hom. I win!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by titi View Post

              Why does this matter? The compiler does not affect the license of the compiled program!
              Source code, source code, source code...

              Comment

              Working...
              X