Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruby 2.6 Released With Experimental JIT Compiler - Can Yield ~1.7x Performance Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby 2.6 Released With Experimental JIT Compiler - Can Yield ~1.7x Performance Boost

Phoronix: Ruby 2.6 Released With Experimental JIT Compiler - Can Yield ~1.7x Performance Boost

The folks behind the Ruby programming language have rolled out their version 2.6.0 release for Christmas. Most notable about Ruby 2.6 is that it brings an experimental JIT compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I is a great language for running long projects (for short ones, python is better) where one microsecond is no critical. I hope that with the JIT compiler, It will be usable for more scenarios.

Comment

I wonder what technique was used by Github developers to optimize the site since it uses Ruby but has pretty good performance...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        I wonder what technique was used by Github developers to optimize the site since it uses Ruby but has pretty good performance...
        Even if ruby is slow, optimizing the code can by enough to handle many requests per second. When this is not enough, you can cache a lot of requests. Also, it is posible that not all of github is writen in ruby.

A very used practice is to use rails for the 90% of the app and other framwork/language for the 10% of the app that has the most trafic (most of the time an api). For example, gitlab use go for the git part (api) and ruby on rails for the rest.

Comment

Working...
        X