HandBrake 1.2 Released: Switches Over To FFmpeg, Early Support For GTK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    And here I thought Handbrake was already using ffmpeg (at least in some cases).
    Maybe there was a configuration --flag for libav/ffmpeg?

Comment

I like handbrake, because when I'm transcoding video, I don't want to waste mental energy. Of course using ffmpeg directly gives you so much more options. But if you just want to convert a bunch of videos to your phone for your next flight, then it's a good simple tool.

The addition of speex is nice.

Comment

Many Linux distros modified HandBrake's build system to link against ffmpeg instead of libav. In doing so, they broke a number of things because ffmpeg is not a 100% compatible replacement for libav. So in addition to getting a number of bug fixes and new features that ffmpeg provides, those distros can hopefully build HandBrake without breaking it so badly. But you'll always be better off getting an official build from the HandBrake team. There is now a Flatpak build that should work across most distros.

Also, note that phoronix jumped the gun just a wee bit. That github link is a pre-release note. One of our developers came down with the flu and needs a little time to recover before we complete our release. Funny nobody else noticed the "pre-release" tag in that link yet.

Comment

Almost, handbrake was using libav (a fork of ffmpeg) but the developers decided to switch back to ffmpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
            Many Linux distros modified HandBrake's build system to link against ffmpeg instead of libav. In doing so, they broke a number of things because ffmpeg is not a 100% compatible replacement for libav. So in addition to getting a number of bug fixes and new features that ffmpeg provides, those distros can hopefully build HandBrake without breaking it so badly. But you'll always be better off getting an official build from the HandBrake team. There is now a Flatpak build that should work across most distros.
            Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
            Almost, handbrake was using libav (a fork of ffmpeg) but the developers decided to switch back to ffmpeg.
            Ah thanks for the info you two. At least now I know I wasn't totally losing my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAStebbins View Post

Also, note that phoronix jumped the gun just a wee bit. That github link is a pre-release note. One of our developers came down with the flu and needs a little time to recover before we complete our release. Funny nobody else noticed the "pre-release" tag in that link yet.
              Wth, you let your developers get sick before a release? What is becoming of this world? :P

Comment

I was doing some HEVC video encoding and found out that Handbrake nightly supports AMD AMF (VCE) on Windows. I assume that is in 1.2.0.

I also found out that AMD recently (October) released AMF support for Vulkan/Linux. https://github.com/GPUOpen-Libraries...s/AMF/issues/4

Hopefully, I get access to my Vega for encoding on Linux soon

Comment

Working...
                X