HandBrake 1.2 Released: Switches Over To FFmpeg, Early Support For GTK4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HandBrake 1.2 Released: Switches Over To FFmpeg, Early Support For GTK4

Phoronix: HandBrake 1.2 Released: Switches Over To FFmpeg, Early Support For GTK4

HandBrake 1.2.0 is now available as the latest update to this popular cross-platform, open-source video transcoder software...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-1.2-Released

Interesting. Ffmpeg has always been a great program missing a decent gui frontend. If Handbrake can start to expose more of ffmpeg's functionality it could turn into the killer app for video encoding and transcoding.

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
      Interesting. Ffmpeg has always been a great program missing a decent gui frontend. If Handbrake can start to expose more of ffmpeg's functionality it could turn into the killer app for video encoding and transcoding.
      it already has been a killer app for encoding and transcoding...

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

it already has been a killer app for encoding and transcoding...
        Not as a replacement for ffmpeg. It couldn't even encode a sequence of images into a video last I checked.

Comment

I don't think ffmpeg even aspires to have a gui. I think it's really meant to be something that you integrate in a project, not a program intended to be used on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I don't think ffmpeg even aspires to have a gui. I think it's really meant to be something that you integrate in a project, not a program intended to be used on its own.
            Yeah. Think of it as a library that happens to offer shell script bindings.

Comment

Not as a replacement for ffmpeg. It couldn't even encode a sequence of images into a video last I checked.
              In other words, you never really checked.
              PHP Code:
              commit 03cfe134ca7b07edfdcfa269ac12da52aa363cc3
              Author
              Michael Niedermayer <michaelni@gmx.at>
              DateThu Jul 15 18:32:54 2004 +0000

image2 
              image API cleanup phase-1
              with this its possible to encode
              &decode any video codec to individual (1 file per framefiles

Originally committed 
              as revision 3319 to svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk 
              (ffmpeg -f image2 -i '*.jpg' ...)

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
                In other words, you never really checked.
                PHP Code:
                commit 03cfe134ca7b07edfdcfa269ac12da52aa363cc3
                Author
                Michael Niedermayer <michaelni@gmx.at>
                DateThu Jul 15 18:32:54 2004 +0000

image2 
                image API cleanup phase-1
                with this its possible to encode
                &decode any video codec to individual (1 file per framefiles

Originally committed 
                as revision 3319 to svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk 
                (ffmpeg -f image2 -i '*.jpg' ...)
                As I understood miabrahams's comment, it was saying "Handbrake is not a killer app for encoding and transcoding as a replacement for calling the ffmpeg CLI directly. Handbrake can't couldn't even encode a sequence of images into a video last I checked."

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

As I understood miabrahams's comment, it was saying "Handbrake is not a killer app for encoding and transcoding as a replacement for calling the ffmpeg CLI directly. Handbrake can't couldn't even encode a sequence of images into a video last I checked."
                  +1 to ssokolow's interpretation of miabraham's comment.

I too have always though of ffmpeg as a library that happened to have a CLI frontend, but I've kind of been okay with it since even Handbrake has an overwhelming number of options for the average user; actually making a GUI that covers the entire ffmpeg surface would result in an ultra-confusing mess with more dropdown menus than you could fathom. I feel like CLIs are good for something so complex because it lets you decide how much info you see when you use it.

Comment

And here I thought Handbrake was already using ffmpeg (at least in some cases).

Comment

Working...
                    X