Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

People use React too.
    I think depending upon an open source framework or library controlled by one company is a lower risk than relying upon an open source programming language controlled by one.

That said, Go and Rust are gaining popularity outside of Google and Mozilla, respectively. So if Hack catches on outside Facebook, people might be more comfortable using it. The hard part is getting the early adopters outside Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Whats the point of Hack in the days of PHP 7?
      What is the point of PHP?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I think depending upon an open source framework or library controlled by one company is a lower risk than relying upon an open source programming language controlled by one.

That said, Go and Rust are gaining popularity outside of Google and Mozilla, respectively. So if Hack catches on outside Facebook, people might be more comfortable using it. The hard part is getting the early adopters outside Facebook.
        Actually Go and Rust are having a hard time outside of their homes. Of the two though aRust seems to have more potential even if the language leaves a lot to be desired. I suspect that down the road the fight for mindshare will be beteen Rust and Swift. That fight likely will not start for a couple of years though. The reality is that these new languages still need to firm up and a body of acceptable practice needs to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

It's popular for server side web scripting/programming. For that purpose it's a pretty nice language. I've used a bit (working on other people's code) and found it very easy to work with. The official documentation is fantastic too. Fast & simple to use.

I know it's not quite accurate, but I kind of think of it like a domain specific language.

Would I start a fresh project in PHP? Probably not. Do I mind working with PHP from time to time? Nope. It's pretty nice

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

It has a low learning curve, and its easy to get started with. Works on all platforms on all web servers. Widely supported on all clouds and web hosts.

Back in the days, it was a much nicer way to do web programming than C, C++ and Perl. For C programmers it had many functions you were used to from C so it was easy to pick up.
            So it gained a huge momentum and the language have seen great improvements. Stays relevant too, much thanks to WordPress.

Other languages such as Python and Ruby are not as well supported by different web servers, clouds and web hosts.

Nowadays I much prefer ASP.NET Core though. It is amazing!

Comment

Nowadays I much prefer ASP.NET Core though. It is amazing!
              What are the main benefits over PHP?

Is it an Open Source language and environment/framework?

Is it cross platform (IE able to run on various GNU/Linux distros and various httpds)?

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

What are the main benefits over PHP?

Is it an Open Source language and environment/framework?

Is it cross platform (IE able to run on various GNU/Linux distros and various httpds)?
                Both PHP and ASP.NET Core are open source and cross-platform.

ASP.NET Core does have higher performance, better strong typing, compile-time checking.
                Very well designed. Great standard library. It is modern. Supports asynchronous operations.

Comment

Both PHP and ASP.NET Core are open source and cross-platform.

ASP.NET Core does have higher performance, better strong typing, compile-time checking.
                  Very well designed. Great standard library. It is modern. Supports asynchronous operations.
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X