Facebook Releases HHVM 3.30 As The Final Version Officially Supporting PHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Releases HHVM 3.30 As The Final Version Officially Supporting PHP

Phoronix: Facebook Releases HHVM 3.30 As The Final Version Officially Supporting PHP

While Facebook's HHVM "HipHop Virtual Machine" project was born as a faster PHP implementation, with PHP7 offering significant upstream performance improvements and Facebook pursuing their own Hack programming language implementation with HHVM, the v3.3.0 release is the last release officially focusing on PHP language support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I correct in that Hack never really took off?

Comment

Whats the point of Hack in the days of PHP 7?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Whats the point of Hack in the days of PHP 7?
        Theoretically better type hinting but that's not reason enough for me to choose it over PHP 7.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          Theoretically better type hinting but that's not reason enough for me to choose it over PHP 7.
          Is that the only advantage of Hack over PHP?
          Also PHP 7 does have type hinting too. How does the type hinting in Hack differ from the one in PHP and how is it better?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Is that the only advantage of Hack over PHP?
            Also PHP 7 does have type hinting too. How does the type hinting in Hack differ from the one in PHP and how is it better?
            That's the main advantage for me. It has a strong type system without having to declare(strict_types=1); PHP7 even with strong typing has some weird things like allowing NULL default values for typed parameters. Hack has the ? operator that explicitly declares the parameter nullable. It also has mixed type support and a really cool generic like way of type hinting collections. See here: https://docs.hhvm.com/hack/collections/introduction

That said, I'd still use PHP7 any day instead of Hack/HHVM because I don't like depending on one company.

Comment

That's the main advantage for me. It has a strong type system without having to declare(strict_types=1); PHP7 even with strong typing has some weird things like allowing NULL default values for typed parameters. Hack has the ? operator that explicitly declares the parameter nullable. It also has mixed type support and a really cool generic like way of type hinting collections. See here: https://docs.hhvm.com/hack/collections/introduction
              Do you think these Hack type-hinting features will get ported into a future version of PHP?

Comment

That said, I'd still use PHP7 any day instead of Hack/HHVM because I don't like depending on one company.
                People use React too.

Comment

PHP 7 since 7.1 has nullable types as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Do you think these Hack type-hinting features will get ported into a future version of PHP?
                    Definitely. As stephen82 pointed out, some of these features are already coming to PHP. I feel the whole version 7 was in a way inspired by HHVM.

I'd appreciate it if they also incorporated parts of the Hack Standard Library into PHP. There are at least efforts of making better data structures for PHP 7, so far as an extension.

Comment

Working...
                    X