Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adiantum Queued Ahead Of Linux 4.21 As Google's Speck Replacement

Phoronix: Adiantum Queued Ahead Of Linux 4.21 As Google's Speck Replacement

Adiantum is the new crypto algorithm Google is backing for disk encryption on low-end (Android) devices following their change of course regarding the controversial NSA-developed Speck algorithm earlier this year...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...o-Linux-Coming

A symmetric(?) crypto algorithm from Google without official NSA-support? Wow. That makes me _really_ confident.

Comment

I think using new cypher algorithms that have been designed especially for low-power systems is a dangerous mistake. Even if the cipher itself doesn't get cracked, this sort of thing shortens the time necessary to brute-force a passphrase. Political dissidents and people facing government repression need strong encryption more than they need faster, more responsive phones

Comment

This isn't intended to replace proper encryption, it's more intended to be used for things that weren't encrypted yet due to resource constraints.

Comment

Calm down, people, so many uninformed paranoia here. I think I have the duty to clarify.

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          A symmetric(?) crypto algorithm from Google without official NSA-support? Wow. That makes me _really_ confident.
          The Speck algorithm is a new low-security cipher designed by the NSA, hence it gets all this controversy.

Originally posted by [B
          Luke[/B]]I think using new cypher algorithms that have been designed especially for low-power systems is a dangerous mistake.
          Google finally decides to agree with you, this is exactly why they designed HPolyC/Adiantum. Unlike what the article says, Google's HPolyC/Adiantum are NOT new symmetric __ciphers__, but a full-disk encryption __framework__, based on universally trusted ChaCha20 cipher, and Poly1305 authentication code.

Traditionally, full-disk encryption was implemented based on a BLOCK CIPHER, such as AES, with XTS mode of operation. But as ChaCha20 is a steam cipher, it cannot be used for disk-encryption despite its reputation on high security and performance.

After Speck was declared unreliable, what Google did after was designing a construction similar to AES-XTS to allow a stream cipher to be used instead of a block cipher in full-disk encryption, with equivalent security. The HPolyC/Adiantum framework allows we use any stream cipher in full-disk encryption, and in this case, the cipher is ChaCha20.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            The Speck algorithm is a new low-security cipher designed by the NSA, hence it gets all this controversy.

Originally posted by Luke
            I think using new cypher algorithms that have been designed especially for low-power systems is a dangerous mistake.
            This is exactly why Google finally decide to design HPolyC/Adiantum, the purpose is to make existing stream ciphers usable, instead of using new block ciphers. Unlike what the article says, Google's HPolyC/Adiantum are NOT new symmetric __ciphers__, but a full-disk encryption __framework__, based on universally trusted ChaCha20 cipher, and Poly1305 authentication code.

Traditionally, full-disk encryption was implemented based on a BLOCK CIPHER, such as AES, with XTS mode of operation. But as ChaCha20 is a steam cipher, it cannot be used for disk-encryption despite its reputation on high security and performance.

After Speck was declared unreliable, what Google did after was designing a construction similar to AES-XTS to allow a stream cipher to be used instead of a block cipher in full-disk encryption, with equivalent security. The HPolyC/Adiantum framework allows we use any stream cipher in full-disk encryption, and in this case, the cipher is ChaCha20.

Comment

Unapproved, unapproved... Ping Michael for review, plz.

Comment

Working...
              X