GCC 9 Compiler Adds -std=c2x And -std=gnu2x For Future C Language Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 9 Compiler Adds -std=c2x And -std=gnu2x For Future C Language Update

Phoronix: GCC 9 Compiler Adds -std=c2x And -std=gnu2x For Future C Language Update

With GCC 9 feature development ending in a few weeks, it's now a mad dash by developers to land their last minute additions into this annual open-source compiler update -- including a look ahead for what is coming down the pipe in the compiler space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The best thing about C is the developers. They aren't the sort to immediately jump onto new features and break compatibility with older toolchains and architecture. This means that codebases become boring and stable, just how I like it

So when the new standard is released in 202x, perhaps at the very most we may start seeing a little bit more C11 code in the wild haha.

Though probably not. I think most of it will still be C89 until Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 becomes unusable. Looking at the cult classic Visual Studio 6 lifespan, this wont be for another 10-20 years
    Last edited by kpedersen; 18 October 2018, 05:34 AM.

Comment

"To be a fly on the wall listning to Gentoo users trying to out rice each other with an infinite combination of C compilers and optimization flags" is what I think when I read about GCC getting features like this. I don't know enough about C and compilers to know anything more than what other people say is good, but I can imagine someone going "nu-uh, you need to use -std=c2x with -funroll-loops and -Ofast because plain old -O3 -flto -fuse-linker-plugin is sooo noob and last year".

Comment

"New array types and bounds checking"

Seriously? Yuck. Hope it never comes to pass.

Comment

an actual link to the already proposed/accepted changes in the article would have been great for the few who actually care

Comment

Originally posted by xception View Post
            an actual link to the already proposed/accepted changes in the article would have been great for the few who actually care
            Not aware of any complete overview of planned C2X features.... The mentions in the article come from carrying out several searches, just not a single place.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
            X