Java 11 Released As The First Java LTS Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

No, type inferencing in lambdas has been there since lambdas are in Java (which is Java 8).

That "feature" there is just so we can be consistent between local variables and lambda parameters.

That's completely useless IMHO. I won't add "var" to a lambda just because I use to add "var" to local variables.

That's one of the things I just skimmed past when reading the new specifications. That's totally cosmetic, and I don't even see how that's aimed at achieving a higher level of consistency.

foo.bar((a, b) -> a.fooBar(b));

and

foo.bar((var a, var b) -> a.fooBar(b));

Are exactly the same thing, AFAIK.

​​​​
    Oh, ok. So this update is even more disappointing than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

Oh, ok. So this update is even more disappointing than I thought.
      This specific part of it, yes

But there are other cool thinfs with it, including an experimental low-latency GC.

Comment

Java LTS. What could possibly go wrong....

Comment

Unfortunately you won't be able to enjoy any of this on Android, since its stuck with Java 6 with partial Java 7 support, or was it Java 7 with partial Java 8 support.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Unfortunately you won't be able to enjoy any of this on Android, since its stuck with Java 6 with partial Java 7 support, or was it Java 7 with partial Java 8 support.
            Do you even need this stuff in Android when you can use native code for performance-cricital applications?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              On Android you should just stick to Kotlin.
              Kotlin fully supports many of the Java 8/9/10/11 features on top of JVM 6, so you can enjoy a decent coding experience when developing for Android.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Do you even need this stuff in Android when you can use native code for performance-cricital applications?
                How does that satisfy the need for Java 7+? The point of these post Java 6 features is not to improve performance but to make the life more bearable.

Comment

Java is getting more features from Scala

About Java on Android, use Rust instead

Comment

Any news regarding Wayland support in Java?

Comment

Also worth noting is Oracle being Oracle, and the licensing terms for "Oracle JDK" have become much stricter, the free version is supported only for 6 months and only for development, not commercial use. See e.g. https://blog.joda.org/2018/09/time-t...acles-jdk.html for a discussion of the available options.

tl;dr: The sky isn't falling, it's just time to jump ship from Oracle JDK.

Comment

Working...
                      X