Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC vs. LLVM Clang Compiler Performance On The AMD Threadripper 2990WX Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

iPhone SE, Safari, iOS 12 beta 12 or something, but it's been like this since forever. Does the same in Firefox too.

No, you can't scroll horizontally or "zoom out" either, the whole site just scales down:

TBH it's kinda shocking noone mentioned this before. In all these years. Phoronix is like the only site that bugs out like this to me.
    This is a reply from an Android phone, Samsung Galaxy S8+. I mostly use Chrome.

I have had no issues with Phoronix.com using this or any other Android phone.

Just for perspectives why so few haven't reported anything.

Comment

I see the same issues as anarki2 if I use firefox, or opera mini. Chrome or Opera are fine.

Comment

No problems for me using Chrome.

Different topic: for comparisons it would be great if you could use different colors in the graphs (it this case a color for the gcc family and one for the clang family)

Comment

In other words - the results are all over the place and there's no clear winner?

Comment

Why not AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler (AOCC)?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

iPhone SE, Safari, iOS 12 beta 12 or something, but it's been like this since forever. Does the same in Firefox too.

No, you can't scroll horizontally or "zoom out" either, the whole site just scales down:
              I'm on firefox on android, same layout but scrolling horizontally works fine.
              Sounds like a buggy browser.

Why are you even testing both Safari and Firefox on iOS anyway?
              Apple has forced that all browsers in AppStore has to use Webkit, so firefox on iOS is just Safari with the ability to sync your bookmarks with a firefox account and a different UI.

Comment

Originally posted by Anty View Post
                One thing to report. When I was doing some tests with GCC/G++ ver 8.0.1 (and sometimes 7.3.0) using -march=znver1 in some cases would generate worse code than just adding -mavx2 -mfma. I would need to test ver 9.x.x if it is still the case.
                I found the same. For numerical code, -march=haswell (or adding those flags) tends to do a lot better than -march=zenv1.
                Part of the problem is zenv1 prefers 128 bit vectors over 256 bit, but -march=haswell is still often faster than -march=zenv1 -mprefer-vector-width=256.

Comment

In case you haven't seen the mess of an article that just hit from PCWorld...

• Uses a Microsoft product (Visual Studio) to check whether or not another Microsoft product (Windows) is hampering the 2990
                  • Clickbait headline doesn't include mention of potential Windows performance hit problems, or the possible issue with 7-zip code changes
                  • Mentions that your 7-zip code is older but claims testing twice with only the latest version proves that 7-zip code changes can't be the culprit
                  • Doesn't bother to do any Linux testing
                  • Doesn't bother to try a different compiler

On a good note, at least he mentions your testing and posts one graphic from it, before seeming to try to dismiss it.

Comment

Originally posted by austin754 View Post

Note: The Phoronix Test Suite includes two solutions of the n-queens problem. One of them is named "m-queens" and has the following description:

Run Identifier: pts/m-queens-1.0.1
                    Description: A solver for the N-queens problem with multi-threading support via the OpenMP library.
                    ah, a clever wordplay ...
                    thanks. I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidKL View Post
                      In case you haven't seen the mess of an article that just hit from PCWorld...

• Uses a Microsoft product (Visual Studio) to check whether or not another Microsoft product (Windows) is hampering the 2990
                      • Clickbait headline doesn't include mention of potential Windows performance hit problems, or the possible issue with 7-zip code changes
                      • Mentions that your 7-zip code is older but claims testing twice with only the latest version proves that 7-zip code changes can't be the culprit
                      • Doesn't bother to do any Linux testing
                      • Doesn't bother to try a different compiler

On a good note, at least he mentions your testing and posts one graphic from it, before seeming to try to dismiss it.
                      In defense of Gordon Mah Ung at PC World:

The guy does just about everything there, podcasts, webcasts, editing web and print. He relies heavily on Brad Chacos on looking under the covers.

PCWorld is a computing generalist publication and I wouldn't expect it to start pulling code out to prove something. But in this case Gordon did a basic level of research.

There is no doubt Gordon knows who butters his bread. To call out Windows to have an explicit issue, when AMD, Intel and Microsoft are all heavy advertisers in PCWorld and other IDG publications, he clearly had to dance a line and still come out and say there is a problem.

He used Michael's data (and duplicated one of his tests) to prove that not only TR has a bandwidth issue, but Windows has an issue.

When Gordon worked for Future, (MaximumPC/PC Gamer) he probably wouldn't have let this drop. He was good at getting details on the issues, even when it included Linux. But he had a lot more help and editorial freedom there too.

After reading all of these reviews across the ether, and especially seeing Phoronix results, I did post at PCWorld that Windows clearly has an issue with TR and someone needed to look at it. I knew they were Windows focused. They have a large readership. If anyone should do it, they should.

Fortunately Michael is not beholden to the corporate world, only his premium subs. Microsoft has made it clear in the commercial world that if you make hay out of benchmarks at our expense, we can make it ugly for you. The SQL Server benchmark wars in the 90's. The COM library slow downs in Win98/NT. Microsoft started putting a crimp on commercial exposes on Windows and performance. The only exception was security.

Unfortunately, the computer "press" has shrunk to its bare threads. In another era, PC Magazine would be all over this. Today, its up to Phoronix and other online media to call it out. I am glad they have, I don't care if its Linux or Windows. The numbers don't lie and can't be ignored.

Comment

Working...
                      X