Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenRISC Will Be Accepted Into The GCC Compiler

Phoronix: OpenRISC Will Be Accepted Into The GCC Compiler

The GCC Steering Committee is accepting OpenRISC as the newest architecture port for inclusion into the GNU Compiler Collection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well - isn't this is asking for trouble?
    The original developers were not ok with the license. Along comes another guy, quickly rewriting the "hot pieces" and everything is supposed to be fine?? Was this done with the consent of the original developers? What is their standpoint on this? I would understand if they're upset. I would even understand them leaving the project.
    While all of this might be completely legal and perhaps even general practice in open source development, we should be a bit more aware of the impact that such decisions can have.
    Not everything that is legal is automatically also a good thing to do.

Comment

WTF, why would they assign the copyright to FSF? It's open source anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
        Any code contributions to GCC requires copyright assignment to the FSF.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Any code contributions to GCC requires copyright assignment to the FSF.
          Why? Is it so they can change the license to GPLv4 when (if ever) that is released?
          That requirement is not a part of the GPL itself as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
            Why? Is it so they can change the license to GPLv4 when (if ever) that is released?
            https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Aha, so to avoid cases like these then I guess?

Many in the open source community have expressed concern about the activities of Patrick McHardy in enforcing the

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                Well - isn't this is asking for trouble?
                The original developers were not ok with the license. Along comes another guy, quickly rewriting the "hot pieces" and everything is supposed to be fine?? Was this done with the consent of the original developers? [/B]
                No its not asking for trouble at all. And its a clean room from scratch coding of the the bits & pieces to get OpenRisc support in the upstream GCC codebase which is a good thing. 100% legal and ethical. It's not any different then being pissed off at FreeBSD or Linux for being clones of UNIX.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                  Copyright is for ownership. And they need ownership to be able to enforce it, not simply "licensed code" which is what "open source anyway" would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Copyright is for ownership. And they need ownership to be able to enforce it, not simply "licensed code" which is what "open source anyway" would be.
                    I guess as a millennial I just don't really get the concept of copyright and ownership of non-tangible things.

Comment

Working...
                    X