Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD AOCC 1.2.1 Compiler Flings Flang Fixes

Phoronix: AMD AOCC 1.2.1 Compiler Flings Flang Fixes

AMD released a minor update to their AMD Optimizing C/C++ Compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Fortran compiler thath as been in

Comment

If you benchmark Flang vs gfortran on Ryzen or Skylake-X, I want to point out that gfortran-8 (and the rest of gcc) prefers 256 and 128 bit vectors respectively, instead of 512 and 256 like LLVM-66 compilers. You can conntrol this with -mprefer-vector-width=
      Maybe gcc's preference is faster for general purpose computing, but when it comes to number crunching. Number crunching loves vectorization, and I've found the wider vectors much faster more often than not -- even if avx-512 downclocks, or Ryzen only has 2 128-bit fma units.

Comment

I'm positive AMD's AOCC has less than 1% of the market share, while in my sphere, clang is quite popular. So if they want to see Zen performing better, these improvement need to make it into clang.

Is AOCC developed by AMD's clang team? Have any of their past improvement's been upstreamed?
        Last edited by slacka; 22 July 2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

AMD really needs to support OpenBLAS to create a real alternative to Intel MKL.
          They also need to create SVML and Intel IPP equivalent which are optimized to Zen.

Those are responsible to significant part of Intel advantage.

Comment

Working...
          X