A Proposal To Allow Python Scripting Within The GCC Compiler, Replacing AWK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    The advantage of awk is that it's installed on virtually every Linux distro, has no shitty version incompatibility (python2 vs python3), and is lightweight. I'm not talking about the script itself, but the executable and runtime which will have to get loaded now (yeah some of us don't use python at all except when needed, in cases like this).

So I guess compiling GCC (and MinGW) will become more tedious with this dependency on a bloated scripting language, if you're used to do it from a container like me.

Hopefully it won't come to pass, but I'm no GCC dev so I doubt my word would have merit even if I did post in that thread. So I can only hope.
    Python is installed on every Distro I know.(may be not android, if you count it as such)
    Compatibility issues, does happen for good reason(language grows, become more mature and functional). There is simple work around for it, to have both python 2 and 3 which implemented even in Gentoo.
    Python I understand is relatively light weight on size and resources if done right. It's choice of noobs in programming, because it allows to have shit done, as such 0 optimisation generally, but it's not language problem. It's overall skills problem. Don't blame hammer if you hit your fingers with it all the time.(not you, but generally)

Not sure what container you talk about.
    I have been compiling GCC on my Gentoo for years, it's very rarely ever fails to compile itself. So you are complaining about things that have not even happened yet.

So far non of your complaints had any merit.
    For someone as seasoned as you are, it should be no brainer. At time of compilation of GCC disable whatever languages you don't need with appropriate variables. Don't like python - disable it at compile time, problem solved? How does this affect you then?

I am for one - happy to see python in GCC. I am not a programmer, just trying thing or two, by making a few simple programs for personal consumption(copy paste app between android and my Linux box that doesn't depend on 3rd party services + little remainder that tells em to drink water).

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      The advantage of awk is that it's installed on virtually every Linux distro, has no shitty version incompatibility (python2 vs python3), and is lightweight. I'm not talking about the script itself, but the executable and runtime which will have to get loaded now (yeah some of us don't use python at all except when needed, in cases like this).

So I guess compiling GCC (and MinGW) will become more tedious with this dependency on a bloated scripting language, if you're used to do it from a container like me.

Hopefully it won't come to pass, but I'm no GCC dev so I doubt my word would have merit even if I did post in that thread. So I can only hope.
      I misunderstood article. I am in the wrong here. Ignore last message all together. At work, and have limited time to read, even less to comprehend. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
      X