Apple Working On New Specialized Compilers Based On LLVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, you are right. I don't know where I came up with that bollocks

Apple *did* have something kinda similar for their Intel GPU Macs using LLVM (which is where I incorrectly linked the technologies): https://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llv...st/006497.html
    However to a much lesser extent (only the OpenGL shader programs used it) and it was never open-sourced.

However, yes LLVMpipe looks to mostly be a Mesa / VMware project: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...llvmpipe&num=1

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

Why should Apple write a Gallium-based CPU implementation of OpenGL for Mesa?
      Apple is likely uninterested in any aspect of that (Open GL, Gallium, and Mesa) but they HAVE used LLVM for a variety of tasks that have expanded the compiler so that it's fairly easy for outsiders to extend it to something like LLVM-pipe.
      They've used LLVM to compile shaders for some time now, also for CoreImage (where a dataflow graph is constructed for how an image is to be processed, and that dataflow graph is turned into optimal code across the pool of CPUs and GPUs that are available).

I think SQL (or more generally query optimization, for CoreData) is a good guess. Similarly something like the TensorFlow for Swift stuff, built on Apple's ML technologies. Those are the two obvious low-hanging fruits.

Just out of interest, there are at least two other domain-specific "compilers" being used by Apple right now, in web technologies. One is the JIT used by Safari for JS, the other (newer, much less well-known) "compiles" CSS rules into something that is much more rapidly reference-able. Neither of these, however, use LLVM, though there was a period when the JS JIT used LLVM before the Safari team moved on to a simplified (and therefore faster) compiler targeting just their JIT needs.
      Last edited by name99; 28 July 2018, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by name99 View Post
        I think SQL (or more generally query optimization, for CoreData) is a good guess.
        CoreData is an Object-Relation-Mapper that uses other databases and not a database by itself.

Comment

Working...
        X