The Qt 6 Plans For November 2020, Qt 5.15 Likely Being Last Of Qt5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Qt 6 Plans For November 2020, Qt 5.15 Likely Being Last Of Qt5

Phoronix: The Qt 6 Plans For November 2020, Qt 5.15 Likely Being Last Of Qt5

At the recent Qt Contributors' Summit as previously covered on Phoronix were some early discussions over plans to release Qt 6.0 in 2020. A few more tidbits of information have come to light on these interesting tool-kit plans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder, will KDE use Wayland as reccomended by then?

Comment

I seriously doubt the qbs part: The main qbs advocate left the company a while back and was not replaced. That does not look like the Qt company is investing heavily into the build system anymore. A manager suddenly showing up on the qbs mailing list, wondering whether there are any users also does not inspire trust in the future. That is the first time I am aware of any managers getting active on that list ever.

Qt Creator got a lot better with cmake recently, which could be pointing to cmake being the fallback plan for when qbs gets killed.

I expect Qt 6 to either stick with qmake or to switch to cmake.

Comment

I would note that depending on C++17 is not the question. Qt 6 will. The question is if some C++20 features will be used as well. If they are in stable compilers on all main platforms at the time and are useful, they might be. Though a think like concepts could perhaps be used conditionally in compilers where supported.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
          I wonder, will KDE use Wayland as reccomended by then?
          Don't talk about KDE, I don't want to see them restart from scratch once again with every QT release
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Don't talk about KDE, I don't want to see them restart from scratch once again with every QT release
            To be fair the whole transition for Qt 5, was about putting as much of KDE as possible into Qt and refactoring to make it as modular as possible - that in itself should make porting to Qt 6 easier

Comment

Porting KDE Software to Qt 6 is not going to entail a total or partial rewrite of anything, don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                I understand the concern, but like others pointed out, I don't think it'll be such an annoying transition.
                In some ways, I actually liked the Qt4 to Qt5 transition, because it really helped highlight what was under-maintained, and therefore should be avoided. Though, it was a little annoying having both Qt4 and Qt5 installed at the same time.

Comment

Am I the only one amazed to the capability of planing 2 years ahead in software development? particularly I should check out what is QT's business

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Napf View Post
                    I seriously doubt the qbs part: The main qbs advocate left the company a while back and was not replaced. That does not look like the Qt company is investing heavily into the build system anymore. A manager suddenly showing up on the qbs mailing list, wondering whether there are any users also does not inspire trust in the future. That is the first time I am aware of any managers getting active on that list ever.

Qt Creator got a lot better with cmake recently, which could be pointing to cmake being the fallback plan for when qbs gets killed.

I expect Qt 6 to either stick with qmake or to switch to cmake.
                    Nah, I expect Qt 6 to switch to Meson.

Comment

Working...
                    X