Zapcc Caching C++ Compiler Open-Sourced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by discordian View Post
    the system headers will be used (way) more than once, and those are cached, not in the sense of a file-cache but as ready to use data-structures after parsing. your sentence would be true for ccache, but this is different.
    Oh... OK, thanks for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

When you do a clean install of Gentoo, this compiler optimization will cut the build time significantly.
      Which may happen once every 5-7 years or never, since it's 'install once use forever' system.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

Which may happen once every 5-7 years or never, since it's 'install once use forever' system.
        Not true when the cloud people want reproducible builds of stuff. There are other uses beside desktop/workstation.

Comment

Not true when the cloud people want reproducible builds of stuff. There are other uses beside desktop/workstation.
          I was specifically referring to Gentoo average user, which is me... I don't reinstall it for half decade easily. Can keep for longer, but hardware updates with incompatible CPU can be problem sometimes, or broken systemd/OpenRC(usual things can go wrong you know,,,)

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

I was specifically referring to Gentoo average user, which is me... I don't reinstall it for half decade easily. Can keep for longer, but hardware updates with incompatible CPU can be problem sometimes, or broken systemd/OpenRC(usual things can go wrong you know,,,)
            So people should stop developing software that YOU don't need? It might be unfortunate for YOU but people will keep improving compilers and stuff even though YOU don't care :-) They might even use distros and programming language YOU don't like.

Comment

So people should stop developing software that YOU don't need?
              Relax.

So, his original comment was a bit dismissive. What's the big deal?

Comment

So people should stop developing software that YOU don't need? It might be unfortunate for YOU but people will keep improving compilers and stuff even though YOU don't care :-) They might even use distros and programming language YOU don't like.
                I was referring to majority of users. The way i thought it worked - it would cache components of app when data changes for recompilation. Which I was wrong about. SO take chill pill brah :P

Comment

Working...
                X