Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nikolobok View Post
    Have someone tried Redox - Rust OS?
    It's not ready for general consumption yet and won't be for years. They're moving a lot faster than other hobby projects, but I'd say wait at least another 5 years, and probably quite a bit longer if you want to run it outside of a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

It's not ready for general consumption yet and won't be for years. They're moving a lot faster than other hobby projects, but I'd say wait at least another 5 years, and probably quite a bit longer if you want to run it outside of a VM.
      5? Make that 15. At least. Unless they commit 100 devs working fulltime, then yes, with good luck 5 years would be reasonable.

But then if "for general use" one really means that, then one needs Vulkan, GL, and a 100 other projects up and running and running well, so 5 years is impossible.
      Last edited by cl333r; 11 May 2018, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

5? Make that 15. At least. Unless they commit 100 devs working fulltime, then yes, with good luck 5 years would be reasonable.

But then if "for general use" one really means that, then one needs Vulkan, GL, and a 100 other projects up and running and running well, so 5 years is impossible.
        Uh no, don't be stupid.

General use here means you can actually install, maintain, and use it for day to day tasks. Day to day tasks not including gaming. It answers the question of "could someone actually choose to dog food it" and it's not ready for that now, it very probably will be in 5 years. If your definition of ready includes gaming it frankly will probably never be ready just like by that definition the BSDs aren't ready today, and Linux barely is. I stand by what I said. You want to run it in a VM wait 5 years then check in on it again. They have all the basics of a desktop and a UNIX-like system it's just very not liveable yet it's entirely plausible to get to dogfooding in 5 years. Doing it on actual hardware will be a lot longer from now.

Comment

Article doesn't bother to mention `impl Trait`? That's been a long desired feature The release notes even had quite the sizeable section on it. Now just need GAT to be implemented and async to polish and stablize.

Comment

General use here means you can actually install, maintain, and use it for day to day tasks. Day to day tasks not including gaming.. (bla bla)
            Uh no, don't be stupid. That's a low shitty standard you have right there. I mean a mature OS with stuff, not for Rust aficionados jerking off to Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              Currently the borrow checker is way too anal, making programming in rust not very enjoyable.
              I've got three things to say in response to that.

1) It's supposed to be anal. The compile-checking does the job humans have proven over decades of real-time, and something like millions of person-hours, to be absolutely horrible at -- not making stupid mistakes.

2) Hey, if you think you can do all the work just fine, that is of course your choice. Toss out your compiler and linker while you're at it, along with everything else, and build your machine from individual transistors too -- seeing as how CPUs are partially-designed by anal computer programs, too. I'm being facetious, of course; point is that it's another tool in the box, and one that comes for free in the language instead of needing extra, external libraries and tooling, along with an entire set of other better-quality tools than are in most of the other toolboxes, and doesn't require you to replace your entire existing car to put them to use like non-C-memory-model languages do.
              Last edited by mulenmar; 11 May 2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Uh no, don't be stupid. That's a low shitty standard you have right there. I mean a mature OS with stuff, not for Rust aficionados jerking off to Rust.
                Okay don't even use Linux then, just use Windows. Since Linux doesn't even have most of the gaming stuff you want to be able to run. In the mean time those of us with reasonable expectations of what a hobby OS can achieve will be quite interested in following how Redox develops especially being a microkernel and protocol based rather than file based.

Comment

Okay don't even use Linux then, just use Windows.
                  More shitty logic. Redox is light years away from Linux.

Comment

I hate how rust is dyslexic. A programming language is designed to be human readable yet everything in rust is abbreviated. As if most programming time is lost on typing a few extra letters even if it is a million times, it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                      I hate how rust is dyslexic. A programming language is designed to be human readable yet everything in rust is abbreviated. As if most programming time is lost on typing a few extra letters even if it is a million times, it is not.
                      They use those abbreviations because Rust draws a lot of influence from functional programming languages in academic circles, which in turn developed those abbreviations as a keyboard-friendly alternative to the symbol-heavy mathematical representations they were used to.

(Which is where you get jokes about LISP being so un-fun that it actually named its "define function" macro defun.)

Your complaint is analogous to Pascal and BASIC programmers complaining about how Java, JavaScript, and all the other languages with C-inspired syntax use { and } rather than friendly "begin" and "end" block delimiters.

Comment

Working...
                      X