Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 8 Has Been Branched, GCC 9.0 Development On Main

Phoronix: GCC 8 Has Been Branched, GCC 9.0 Development On Main

The GNU Compiler Collection 8 stable release (GCC 8.1) is almost ready to make its debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would expect Fedora 28 to ship with the stable release. Not sure if that means that Fedora 28 will be delayed or GCC 8 will be out just in time to make it into the "base" repository.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
      I would expect Fedora 28 to ship with the stable release. Not sure if that means that Fedora 28 will be delayed or GCC 8 will be out just in time to make it into the "base" repository.
      In F28 beta GCC 8.0.1 is used:
      Code:
      gcc-8.0.1-0.20.fc28.x86_64
      gcc-c++-8.0.1-0.20.fc28.x86_64
      libgcc-8.0.1-0.20.fc28.x86_64
      gcc-gfortran-8.0.1-0.20.fc28.x86_64
      gcc-gdb-plugin-8.0.1-0.20.fc28.x86_64
      I doubt that F28 will change used compiler at the last moment (it would require re-compilation of all packages!).
      So they will use 8.x compiler series through all F28 release and support cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by chilek View Post
        I doubt that F28 will change used compiler at the last moment (it would require re-compilation of all packages!).
        Being a Fedora user myself, I'm pretty sure that the transition 8.0.1 -> 8.1 will take place at some point. F26 shipped with GCC 7.1.1 if I'm not wrong, now it currently has GCC 7.3.1 available, but I'm not sure if it was released with a pre-release version of the compiler. I asked because I'm not sure whether this means that the whole distribution gets built with a compiler still in experimental state. But that's more of my ignorance on how Fedora devs use to work.

So we must conclude that the odd numbered releases of Fedora are "more stable" on release day because they are built with a more stable compiler, am I wrong?
        Last edited by GdeR; 25 April 2018, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Possibly. It's not as though Fedora doesn't have a regression suite for it's core packages. And it's been a few years since I've seen any issues with a new GCC compiling my own code. But if it makes you feel safer, by all means hold off your Fedora 28 update until after GCC 8.1, or 8.2 late in the summer. No one's forcing it on you.

Comment

Switching from 8.0 (development) to 8.1 (stable) is fairly minor and will not require recompilation of all packages.
            Nothing prevents you from running (and debugging) applications that were compiled, say, w/ GCC 6.1 on a machine with GCC 8.1.

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
              [..]
              But if it makes you feel safer, by all means hold off your Fedora 28 update until after GCC 8.1, or 8.2 late in the summer. No one's forcing it on you.
              That's exactly what I'm going to do. I had this doubt that I needed to clarify because I ignore the process of building
              and maintaining the core parts of a distribution. I know nobody is forcing me, but don't get me wrong, I was just
              asking. Also, I see no real alternative for me other than Fedora. I'm so used to this system and I find it so realiable
              that in the end I'd rather wait for things to get fixed than switch to another distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

Switching from 8.0 (development) to 8.1 (stable) is fairly minor and will not require recompilation of all packages.
                Nothing prevents you from running (and debugging) applications that were compiled, say, w/ GCC 6.1 on a machine with GCC 8.1.

- Gilboa
                And this is why I wrote: ...they will use 8.x compiler series through all F28 release and support cycle. Not 8.0.x but 8.x ;-) I think it's clear now.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

- Gilboa
                  Nothing except possible glibc (or other system library) version incompatibilities. Whether by accident or design, when using third-party libraries built from source, it sometimes does happen and requires a recompilation and re-link against the newer system glibc. You can get around this by using e.g. scl devtoolkits under CentOS, but it's something I always keep in mind when doing a system upgrade: everything takes longer and costs more. This undoubtedly happens with other distros as well -- plan accordingly.

Edit: Apologies to Gilboa, who was referring to GCC minor version bump within the same distro version. I was thinking about what can happen with distro upgrades (including GCC upgrade) themselves.
                  Last edited by pipe13; 25 April 2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

And this is why I wrote: ...they will use 8.x compiler series through all F28 release and support cycle. Not 8.0.x but 8.x ;-) I think it's clear now.
                    Guess I misread you post. My mistake.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X