Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Qt Company Has Been Overhauling Qt's Support For Python

Phoronix: The Qt Company Has Been Overhauling Qt's Support For Python

Following next month's release of Qt 5.11, The Qt Company will be introducing as a technology preview the new Qt for Python...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

if Qt will have its "official" binding framework (?) with Python, what will happen to the PyQt?

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      if Qt will have its "official" binding framework (?) with Python, what will happen to the PyQt?
      Also interesting to know.

Also hope Michael will remind us at the end of May that Qt for Python is released

By the way, blog post is cool

Comment

Qt already had its "official" Python bindings, PySide for Qt4. This is a new version of them, for Qt5.

Comment

the module providing Qt integration for the Python progrqamming language.

Comment

I've been using Python on Linux with GTK+ over GObject Introspection (GI), and it is really nice.
            I look forward to GTK4 which will be even nice, I heard you won't need to call the show_all() method when adding widgets.
            Just too bad that gi_composites.py isn't officially part of GTK.
            Having to deal with multiple GtkPaned can be a bit annoying too.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              the module providing Qt integration for the Python progrqamming language.
              You're right. This being an article about Qt that should read: progrQtamming

Comment

Healthy competition?

The main reason for Qt for Python (previously PySide) to exist is that PyQt is GPL and requires purchasing an extra license for using it in non-GPL-compatible software.
                PySide (not Qt for Python) enables the use of Qt from Python without being restricted to the GPL or having to pay to a third party for a license in order to avoid the GPL.

Comment

For me, I thought coding in Python3+Qt5 was pretty easy. The only difficulty I had was how much the Qt Designer and documentation was pretty much only focused on C++.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    For me, I thought coding in Python3+Qt5 was pretty easy. The only difficulty I had was how much the Qt Designer and documentation was pretty much only focused on C++.
                    There is some work on that, with patches in review already. Assuming you mean Qt Creator

Comment

Working...
                    X