Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Java JDK 10 Reaches General Availability With Experimental Java-Based JIT Compiler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java JDK 10 Reaches General Availability With Experimental Java-Based JIT Compiler

Phoronix: Java JDK 10 Reaches General Availability With Experimental Java-Based JIT Compiler

JDK 10 has reached general availability as the first Java release under Oracle's new six-month release model...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...DK-10-Released

I hope this really soon comes to Android, because coding in Java 6, 7, and 8 is really shit!
    No type inference, no properties, no lambdas. Coding Java is a pain!
    There is Kotlin for Android too, but it's weird.
    I would really love C# though, its much nicer than Java.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I hope this really soon comes to Android, because coding in Java 6, 7, and 8 is really shit!
      Not sure what you mean by "properties" in this context, but lambdas are present in Java 8 (it was one of the biggest new features of that version). The new type inference stuff from JDK10 does look promising though...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Not sure what you mean by "properties" in this context, but lambdas are present in Java 8 (it was one of the biggest new features of that version). The new type inference stuff from JDK10 does look promising though...
        By properties I mean getter/setters. In Java you have to create a set method, and a get method, then a private field to back them. Much easier with C# properties which is a shorthand for that.

Comment

sounds awfull. haskel ftw!

Comment

Not sure why it needs to come to Android when Fuchsia is already shaping up quite nicely. Fuchsia does away with ART.

Comment

- Lambdas: Lambdas have been 100% supported in Java and the Android tools for a while now, so that's not a reasonable complaint.
              - Type inference: Kotlin has much better type inference than C#. Kotlin supports type inference for function return types and class variables or properties.
              - Properties: Kotlin has much better properties than C# with a much cleaner syntax. Android developers do have to use getter/setter methods for Android widgets classes like android.widget.Button or android.widget.CheckBox you have to use getter/setter methods, but that's not a big problem.

Next, Android tries to be flexible regarding developer choice. Most Android apps/games use some non-Java framework. If you really want specifically C#, Unity is great and wildly popular. And I'm sure people do complain that C# sucks and doesn't have type inference or properties of Kotlin/Scala or the functional features of Haskell.

Comment

By properties I mean getter/setters. In Java you have to create a set method, and a get method, then a private field to back them. Much easier with C# properties which is a shorthand for that.
                Ah yes, I'm familiar with the feature, then. I just thought that since two of your three items are present in newer Java features, you were implying that a native property syntax was also a thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

For nice properties like C# look at project lombok. We use it extensively to reduce code clutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ieugen View Post

For nice properties like C# look at project lombok. We use it extensively to reduce code clutter.
                    C# properties are horrible.

For better OOP style "properties" just use Kotlin or Scala.

Or if you really want to stick with Java, find better designs that don't require boilerplate. I write tons of Java code and avoid the issue.

I'm very much looking forward to Java catching up to Kotlin/Scala with pattern matching (http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/305) and switch expressions (http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/325) and fix generics so that they work with primitives (http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/218) and that they work with instanceof (reification).

Comment

Working...
                    X