Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Creator 4.6 RC & Qt 5.11 Beta 2 Released

Phoronix: Qt Creator 4.6 RC & Qt 5.11 Beta 2 Released

The Qt Company has some new software development releases available in time for weekend testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt is very good but costs an absurd amount of money - at least for independent developers or small businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      Qt is very good but costs an absurd amount of money - at least for independent developers or small businesses.
      "Free" seems like a great price to me. I can't imagine there's any reason not to use the LGPL licensed version for commercial products.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

"Free" seems like a great price to me. I can't imagine there's any reason not to use the LGPL licensed version for commercial products.
        If you want to use it for embedded devices the LGPLv3 might not suit your business model. Also you get support with the money, and it is not very much by western IT costs.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

If you want to use it for embedded devices the LGPLv3 might not suit your business model. Also you get support with the money, and it is not very much by western IT costs.
          I wouldn't really want to be the guy arguing this at work, but at least one blog seems to argue LGPLv3 isn't a complete death knoll for embedded:
          Up to Qt 5.3, things were pretty simple. Most modules were under LGPLv2.1 with the exception of some commercial modules. Starting with Qt 5.4, new Qt modules were published under LGPLv3 and old mod…

But yeah, paying for the commercial version for the public release builds should management not buy this guys' arguments sounds fine, but mine is a larger company who can afford the squemishness. For zoomblab's "independent developers or small businesses" they can simply take the advice linked above from the start and avoid the expense.

Comment

Working...
          X