GCC 8 Will Let You -march=native Correctly On ARM/AArch64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
    RISC-V is the cure of nothing as far as toolchains go. It will face the MIPS mess with compilers (and software in general) due to the possibility of proprietary extensions. Been there on MIPS (R5900 of the PS2 as an example) and it looks like RISC-V will follow that path.
    Yes, maybe, but the unique string identifier (unique through time and space, lol), will allow all open extensions to be easily understood and optimized for. And then, if an implementation with proprietary extensions comes along, and is popular, the smart masochists will figure out how to reverse engineer some performance out of it, like those sick masochists that brute-force their way into improving the 'nouveau' driver for nVidia stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      ARM is such a mess as a standard, I wonder how this will actually work in practice. You can mtune, but the mtune extensions don't work? ARM is a plague, RISC-V is the cure. You'll get an ISA string to define you march optimizations. We need some way to standardize gpu instructions also, which is a pain in ARM. A huge pain.
      Sweet, show me where I can buy a RISC-V server, or even just a motherboard in a standard form factor. Oh, right.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Sweet, show me where I can buy a RISC-V server, or even just a motherboard in a standard form factor. Oh, right.
        I can show you how to emulate one...

Comment

Working...
        X