Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire Is Making Progress But Still Needs More Time To Mature

Phoronix: PipeWire Is Making Progress But Still Needs More Time To Mature

PipeWire was announced last year as a new Red Hat projects with aspirations to be to video as PulseAudio is to audio on the Linux desktop. Other PipeWire goals include professional audio support equal to or better than JACK, full Wayland/Flatpak support, and more. Red Hat is making a lot of progress on PipeWire, but it's not yet ready to be the default on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Features low-latency, support alsa, support jack, support gstreamer, will handle bluetooth, pure C without C++, no glib, and lennart isn't involved.
    Wow! It's like utopia becoming reality....
    Seems like I will no longer need KXStudio's Cadence.

Comment

interesting project.

I wonder how good this is as a replacement to Jack?

I run Jack2 + pulseaudio on top. which has always worked fine for me. I can use all of the low-latency Jack apps, vsts, etc....

and even pulseaudio can handle achieving fairly low-latency. example; pulseaudio has 16 channels on my box, I can run Reaper in wine, map all channels, play some big cpu hungry project... and if I measure round-trip latency - it's consistently between 7-9ms with my crappy Intel hda. lol

and that's a rather layered and convoluted setup/example.

I wonder what the Jack-devs think about this project?

Comment

Originally posted by PedroHLC View Post
        and lennart isn't involved.
        Not officially anyway. He knows he can have others actually commit his code.

Comment

Originally posted by PedroHLC View Post
          Features low-latency, support alsa, support jack, support gstreamer, will handle bluetooth, pure C without C++, no glib, and lennart isn't involved.
          Wow! It's like utopia becoming reality....
          Seems like I will no longer need KXStudio's Cadence.
          Best first post ever! I like it a lot.

Comment

what a toxic forum this is

Comment

Originally posted by blae View Post
              what a toxic forum this is
              That's true FUD by it's very definition.

Comment

no it isnt.
                ​​​​​
                the amount of personal attacks against lennart in this forum warrants a total ban of anyone mentioning his name. it has come as far that if i were lennart, i'd seriously consider reporting this site to the authorities

Comment

Originally posted by blae View Post
                  no it isnt.
                  ​​​​​
                  the amount of personal attacks against lennart in this forum warrants a total ban of anyone mentioning his name. it has come as far that if i were lennart, i'd seriously consider reporting this site to the authorities
                  Oh how very SCO-like of you....

EDIT: Sure we need an "RIAA" of open source just about as badly as we need a 12 gauge shotgun blast point blank in the face.
                  Last edited by duby229; 26 January 2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Of course duby229 doesn't think this forum has a problem, because most of the time doby229 is the toxicity problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X