Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blae View Post
    what a toxic forum this is
    Actually no, you are overreacting. We are a pretty decent place, due to valiant efforts of the saner userbase to keep in check the dumb ones. A low % of stupid is normal and acceptable.

the amount of personal attacks against lennart in this forum warrants a total ban of anyone mentioning his name. it has come as far that if i were lennart, i'd seriously consider reporting this site to the authorities
    If this is your reaction to this forum, don't go on Reddit or Slashdot.
    Or in the FreeBSD forums either.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoatally View Post
      Of course duby229 doesn't think this forum has a problem, because most of the time doby229 is the toxicity problem.
      Funny then how it's -you- helping spread it right now.... This is another example of the true definition of FUD.

EDIT: I say I like a post and then you say I'm toxic for it.... Don't you think calling others toxic is itself actually what's toxic? That's by it's very definition FUD.
      Last edited by duby229; 26 January 2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Funny then how it's -you- helping spread it right now.... This is another example of the true definition of FUD.
        He is partly right though, you are still part of the problem. You just try to use more technical arguments (and fail) instead of personal attacks, so it's not a "toxicity" problem.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          He is partly right though, you are still part of the problem. You just try to use more technical arguments (and fail) instead of personal attacks, so it's not a "toxicity" problem.
          Well, I am opinionated for sure. And I do stress my opinions for what they are worth. Sometimes even to the breaking point.

EDIT: Alright, that's fair. I can take a hint, I'll try not smack down truth and right when LP fanboys are present.
          Last edited by duby229; 26 January 2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

EDIT: I say I like a post and then you say I'm toxic for it.... Don't you think calling others toxic is itself actually what's toxic? That's by it's very definition FUD.
            Given that "FUD" is "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt", I'd have to wonder how someone pointing out that this forum has some toxicity issues is FUD.

I mean, let's be clear here, it's only some mild exaggeration on his part.

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Given that "FUD" is "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt", I'd have to wonder how someone pointing out that this forum has some toxicity issues is FUD.

I mean, let's be clear here, it's only some mild exaggeration on his part.
              Let me explain, for example, if someone told you that a pitcher of kool-aid was toxic, you would most likely fear that kool-aid and avoid it, even if that claim was completely unfounded. That would be an example of FUD. Just as much as that post was. It's the very definition of FUD.

EDIT: It's just my personal opinion here, but I think the most toxic environments are schools and workplaces and we all deal with them. This forum is extremely mild. Go check out slashdot, it's not even that toxic if compared to real schools or workplaces, but is waaaaay worse than this forum. I actually had to give up on slashdot. It's not even worth trying to get a word in edgewise there.

Last edited by duby229; 26 January 2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Well, I am opinionated for sure. And I do stress my opinions for what they are worth. Sometimes even to the breaking point.

EDIT: Alright, that's fair. I can take a hint, I'll try not smack down truth and right when LP fanboys are present.
                More like you post bullshit backed by technical-sounding reasons and refuse to back down when your "technical" arguments are debunked.

I mean, opinions is one thing, bullshit is another. Let's remind the class that you still believe Intel should make better GPUs because people should be able to game on an iGPU and Intel is therefore hurting PC gaming.

Or that Intel iGPUs have visible tear on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  More like you post bullshit backed by technical-sounding reasons and refuse to back down when your "technical" arguments are debunked.

I mean, opinions is one thing, bullshit is another. Let's remind the class that you still believe Intel should make better GPUs because people should be able to game on an iGPU and Intel is therefore hurting PC gaming.

Or that Intel iGPUs have visible tear on Windows.
                  Neither of them are BS. Intel's GPUs -do- tear badly and it's completely unavoidable. And their GPUs -are- too slow to game on for consumer grade hardware. Basically anything intended for use at home for personal use needs to be able to play that era's games. -Every- other CPU vendor in -every- other market accomplishes that. Intel is the -ONLY- CPU vendor that sells products to consumers that can't play the video games of its era.
                  Last edited by duby229; 26 January 2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blae View Post
                    what a toxic forum this is
                    Projects by Lennart have a history of getting very visibly put into production at a stage where they cause end-user regressions and, especially with PulseAudio, the devs then blame bugs in other projects and wash their hands of the matter.

End users don't care which project's code is actually buggy... just what changed to bring about the broken behaviour in the released system.

That produces a "once burned, twice shy" effect. End of story.

How is it toxic to say that that a developer who's become somewhat infamous for starting projects with poor release QA and bad PR surrounding the matter is not involved in your project? Are things getting so politically correct that the effects of a developer's action or inaction can no longer earn a poor reputation?

Comment

Yeah, this forum is pretty awful. I can't speak for say, /. these days, haven't been a regular there in years. But while some threads on here can be fine, many are on par with youtube for terribleness. I block a number of the worst people here, but still see quite a lot of bad behavior.

Comment

Working...
                      X