Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Retpoline Support Added To LLVM For Spectre v2 Mitigation

Phoronix: Initial Retpoline Support Added To LLVM For Spectre v2 Mitigation

The LLVM code has been merged to mainline for the Retpoline x86 mitigation technique for Spectre Variant 2. This will be back-ported to LLVM 6.0 and also LLVM 5.0 with an immediate point release expected to get this patched compiler out in the wild...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I swear that I am turning off all that shit in my kernel today unless Intel pays my electricity bill. If one day my server becomes zombie in some botnet due to that bug it is your fault Intel! Difference on the cpu use is huge running same server with same apps between kernel 3.14.79 & 4.14.11

Comment

That's mitigation for meltdown (affects Intel, not AMD), this is spectre v2 mitigation (affects Intel, and theoretically AMD but likely a lot more difficult).
      The overhead here is much lower than meltdown.
      No excuse to not patch, when you have identified the risk already.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
        No excuse to not patch, when you have identified the risk already.
        Whatever, no reason for them not to pay if they identified the problem and gave inadequate way to patch it.

Comment

Working...
        X