X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Yes you are `losing' traction. It reminds me of the whining with MacOS 8 versus OS X.
    *track

MacOS 8 has the same identical UX design of OSX/MacOS. Better graphics, yes, but same UX design.

Same top bar with menus, same bottom bar with a dock-like thing, same icons on desktop.

GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3 (not the "legacy" or "flashback" mode) is a different UX design.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    You honestly think that the new Gnome Shell looks better than the original Solaris 11 Gnome 2 desktop? Wow, I must really be loosing track with modern UX. The Gnome 2 offering to me looks vastly superior and far more professional.

I would almost be embarrassed showing the Gnome 3 Shell on my laptop during presentations. It just looks consumer in every single way.
    Yes you are `losing' traction. It reminds me of the whining with MacOS 8 versus OS X.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    ah come on. Blocked post for Vistaus above.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yeah, but it has already been established that anti-GNOME-Shell people only want to customize their web browsers with extensions, not their DE.
    I'll leave this bit of truth here:
    browser extensions are more stable than GNOME 3 extensions as upstream does not break API very often if at all.

Up to the switch to Firefox Quantum, most extensions not relying on frail interfaces (like youtube video downloaders and similar that have to track a website's own API to work, which is unrelated) kept working from like 2012.
    Same for Chrome/ium, and from now on it should be again the same for FF and webextensions.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post
    Well, even with the latest Gnome 3.26 you can still customize it to a somewhat sane and usable desktop. Enabling desktop icons and the extensions Applications menu, Window list and Topicons plus and use a nice theme like Zukitre does help a lot. Use Tweaks and Dconf-editor to fine tune settings...
    Yeah, but it has already been established that anti-GNOME-Shell people only want to customize their web browsers with extensions, not their DE.

Leave a comment:

• rtfazeberdee
    replied
    Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Under which license? GPL?
    No idea, i only found about it from reading an interview with LP. https://www.linuxvoice.com/interview...rt-poettering/ - my memory of that interview was a bit faulty - here's the actual solution he did

"LV:" Some people see it as a requirement for Gnome…

"LP:" But it’s not actually a requirement. Some people don’t realise that when Gnome started making use of Logind, I actually wrote the patch for that. I ported GDM onto Logind. But when it did that, I was very careful to make sure it would still run on ConsoleKit. I didn’t want to have those fights – if people want to continue running ConsoleKit, they can. Those patches made it in, but some people saw that Gnome now works with Logind, hence it must not work with ConsoleKit any more!

But that’s actually not true. And to my knowledge the code is still in there – the compatibility for ConsoleKit. The Gnome team has the general problem though, that nobody’s willing to maintain it. People who want to stick to the old stuff, they actually need to do some work on it. If they don’t, then it will bit-rot and go away.

So anyway, we tried to do these things in the nicest possible way, but of course people generally don’t acknowledge it!

Leave a comment:

• George99
    replied
    Well, even with the latest Gnome 3.26 you can still customize it to a somewhat sane and usable desktop. Enabling desktop icons and the extensions Applications menu, Window list and Topicons plus and use a nice theme like Zukitre does help a lot. Use Tweaks and Dconf-editor to fine tune settings...

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    You honestly think that the new Gnome Shell looks better than the original Solaris 11 Gnome 2 desktop? Wow, I must really be loosing track with modern UX. The Gnome 2 offering to me looks vastly superior and far more professional.

I would almost be embarrassed showing the Gnome 3 Shell on my laptop during presentations. It just looks consumer in every single way.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    I thought Solaris is dead.

Leave a comment:

• aht0
    replied
    Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

LP actually wrote a module that allowed Gnome to avoid systemd but they chose not to use it, maybe they are using that.
    Under which license? GPL?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X