SPARC M8 Processors Launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    > I guess a question that rises naturally is - does Oracle Linux run off it? And whether GCC toll kit(or any opensource complier) optimizes for those CPUs?

Yes, it does:

> https://oss.oracle.com/projects/linux-sparc/
    > http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/se...c-3665558.html
    That was all I could find as well.
    I guess an answer(very indirect) to my question could be something like: ...solid dark sky over Oracle in about three years time... If Oracle does not change completely, and they probably will not - higher management, directors board, similar. Company is old and wooden. Databases(+related services) alone won't do for much longer.
    Last edited by lejeczek; 20 September 2017, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

But the cost of "staying put" in the face of the inevitable can have near infinite costs associated with it. So, "stop-gap", but only in very very emergency situations and only with a very very short term view (like 6 mos.).

I say 6mos., because it's very unlikely that migration would take years unless everything is written in SPARC assembler.
      Not sure you're able to make this generalization. We've been porting our systems over for nearly 3 years now. It takes a long time to test and validate certain applications, and to migrate all of our partners over, partly due to government regulations specific to our industry. And it takes a long time to port the apps over if you have a ton of custom code, and a very small dev/test team as we do. But yes, with unlimited resources, anything can be done in 6 months lol.

It will be closer to 4 years for us, from start to finish, of our effort to migrate all of production from HP-UX to RHEL.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 20 September 2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
        Databases(+related services) alone won't do for much longer.
        I'm no fan of Oracle, but they do much more than databases these days. Remember, they acquired BEA and also Java, so they have the complete enterprise application stack now. OS + Database + App framework + Java. And certain packages like Oracle Financials are heavily used in the business world without any serious competition. I would wager that Database revenue is just a fraction of their net income.

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
          Chuck, you're so bitter lately. Ryzen is awesome, enjoy the fun and competition. Even if perceptions of Ryzen are better than reality, AMD needs that to gain momentum and market/mind share. It's only going to be good for everyone in the long run.
          I think it was a joke not about Ryzen, but about the way everyone seems to attribute advances elsewhere in the industry to the fact that AMD is again a competitive force. His point seemed to be that virtually none of these recent developments had anything to do with Ryzen, given that the inception of something like this would be several years prior.

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
            My guess when they made this switch was because they believed they were losing business because at true-up/audit time, the VMs would be cut back to the minimum spec for payment, then increase until the next audit. As I said though, just my guess.
            The obvious solution to this would seem to be to limit how many threads or processes the database could spin up, based on the license used. Perhaps that's a bit simplistic, but there should be something in that basic idea.

Heh, they could even do something like limiting the transaction throughput based on the license.

Then, to keep people from running multiple instances on the same license, you might have a license server that stays in communication with all instances.
            Last edited by coder; 21 September 2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              I think it was a joke not about Ryzen, but about the way everyone seems to attribute advances elsewhere in the industry to the fact that AMD is again a competitive force. His point seemed to be that virtually none of these recent developments had anything to do with Ryzen, given that the inception of something like this would be several years prior.
              True, I did get that part of the joke. It must be my perceptions.. he normally makes pretty funny and clever jokes (here and on TechReport), he just seemed quite upset lately in his jokes involving AMD.

Comment

Working...
              X