Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oracle Linux 7 Update 4 Brings UEFI SecureBoot, USBGuard Added & Btrfs Supported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Linux 7 Update 4 Brings UEFI SecureBoot, USBGuard Added & Btrfs Supported

Phoronix: Oracle Linux 7 Update 4 Brings UEFI SecureBoot, USBGuard Added & Btrfs Supported

While Oracle is slashing Solaris and SPARC jobs, their RHEL-derived Oracle Linux operating system continues getting pushed forward. Oracle Linux 7 Update 4 is now available as their re-based version off Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Raise your hand if you're willingly using Oracle Linux. Willingly = not because that's what someone else decided your project should be using.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Raise your hand if you're willingly using Oracle Linux. Willingly = not because that's what someone else decided your project should be using.
      I've yet to use something "willingly" at work.

Comment

Support for Btrfs? For how long? Is on its way to be deprecated (aka Removed) in the future by upstream (RH).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I've yet to use something "willingly" at work.
          I'm using Java willingly, Netbeans unwillingly, Kubuntu willingly, svn unwillingly. And so on

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
            Support for Btrfs? For how long? Is on its way to be deprecated (aka Removed) in the future by upstream (RH).
            Oracle will likely bring it back as it's also their baby now.

At least Oracle Linux won't just be a reskin of RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
              I doubt Unbreakable Kernel comes from RH.

Comment

One of our clients wanted it recently – I think because they have an existing enterprise license for it – but it turns out we can't support it because one of the third-party tools we depend on aren't willing to do so either. So it looks like we'll be sticking with Redhat...

So happily, that's one less piece of Oracle technology in our stack. Unfortunately, the others are somewhat harder to avoid...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

One of our clients wanted it recently – I think because they have an existing enterprise license for it – but it turns out we can't support it because one of the third-party tools we depend on aren't willing to do so either. So it looks like we'll be sticking with Redhat...

So happily, that's one less piece of Oracle technology in our stack. Unfortunately, the others are somewhat harder to avoid...
                  Eh, it could have been worse. At one point we had a client that said they were using RedHat, but they were actually using Oracle Linux. Our C/C++ guys had so much fun chasing down the segfaults

Comment

Eh, it could have been worse. At one point we had a client that said they were using RedHat, but they were actually using Oracle Linux. Our C/C++ guys had so much fun chasing down the segfaults
                    Ouch. Yeah, that's exactly the kind of reason why our third-party vendor doesn't want to support them... their view is that while the software should work on any reasonably-current Linux platform, providing commercial support for more than two or three major distros is just too much hassle.

Comment

Working...
                    X