Oracle Reportedly Laying Off More Solaris & ZFS Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that is were the trend is going.

Full size operating system like Solaris and RHEL is becoming irrelevant in the new enterprise architecture landscape. The trend is towards minimalistic low footprint Linux OS's running for containers on bare-metal. OS dists like Redhat Atomic, ContainerOS and RancherOS.

Demand for Solaris and RHEL will decline. But the future for the Linux kernel is very bright providing facilities (Namespaces, Cgroups, networking, IP-stack) for running container work loads.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Laying off the Solaris and ZFS people make those technologies slowly fade away into obscurity.
      Then without open sourcing ZFS and gain some precense on the Linux enterprise they are getting obsolete there too.

Oracle has nothing interesting to offer. Oracle posses the something like the Midas touch but everything they touch dies instead of turns to gold.
      This just in!: RHEL acquires ZFS staff and creators for their new competitor filesystem -- Stratus

So much LOL. And yet, I wouldn't blink an eye in surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Laying off the Solaris and ZFS people make those technologies slowly fade away into obscurity.
        Then without open sourcing ZFS and gain some precense on the Linux enterprise they are getting obsolete there too.

Oracle has nothing interesting to offer. Oracle posses the something like the Midas touch but everything they touch dies instead of turns to gold.
        It's almost like they bought Sun Microsystems with the sole intent of suing Google rather than continuing to develop the properties beyond what they were legally obligated to do. Don't be surprised if Oracle jettisons Java once the legal war between them and Google is finally over.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post
          No, the OpenZFS implementation is open source. It's a fork from the last open release from Sun. Oracle's version of ZFS is decidedly not open source and the 2 have diverged somewhat. The OpenZFS version is under the original CDDL and, as you stated, the GPL isn't compatible with it. All my FreeBSD systems run fine with ZFS though.
          Also linux systems run fine with openZFS.

And for the record, the closedZFS does not have any killer feature worth crying for, afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            This just in!: RHEL acquires ZFS staff and creators for their new competitor filesystem -- Stratus

Stratus is a framework, mostly a wrapper to use all tools we use nowadays to set up raid and volumes plus some additions. Not a true full-blown next-gen filesystem, so I doubt this will ahppen.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Now that you said it... that doesn't sound too far fetch'd.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Also linux systems run fine with openZFS.

And for the record, the closedZFS does not have any killer feature worth crying for, afaik.
                native encryption support, including per pool encryption. I think that's a pretty killer feature, espcially since ZFS is known to have less than stellar performance on top of GELI, and that neither GELI nor dm-crypt/luks are cross platform, so you can't mount such drives in Linux, which can stink for recovery, since Linux rescue images are much better than the FreeBSD ones.

Although, to be fair, it looks like they're getting close to having native encryption in OpenZFS.

Comment

now definitely redhat will start contributing to zfs lol

Comment

Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post

native encryption support, including per pool encryption. I think that's a pretty killer feature, espcially since ZFS is known to have less than stellar performance on top of GELI, and that neither GELI nor dm-crypt/luks are cross platform, so you can't mount such drives in Linux, which can stink for recovery, since Linux rescue images are much better than the FreeBSD ones.

Although, to be fair, it looks like they're getting close to having native encryption in OpenZFS.
                    Native encryption is already done and works in OpenZFS if you want to build the fork. It was already done back in Oct 2016.

https://blog.heckel.xyz/2017/01/08/z...-zfs-on-linux/
                    https://github.com/tcaputi/zfs/commi...b797a75247c61e

It just needs mode code reviewers and crypto reviewers for final checking before it's merged. Though the contributor said he stole all the crypto code from Illumos so he has a lot of confidence in it.
                    Last edited by SirMaster; 04 August 2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SirMaster View Post
                      It just needs mode code reviewers and crypto reviewers for final checking before it's merged. Though the contributor said he stole all the crypto code from Illumos so he has a lot of confidence in it.
                      I know enough about cryptography to know I don't understand it at all. I'm not willing to using encryption technology that hasn't been written by a cryptographer, or at least thoroughly vetted by (at least one, preferably many) cryptographer(s) because if it's even slightly wrong it could be completely useless, and if debian (https://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1571), and apple (https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...fficial-patch/), and countless other's can completely break the security of a system with two lines so can the ZFS encryption in that fork.

I'm a dev, I run a lot of bleeding edge software, but encryption is one place I don't screw around, it may be really important someday that the encryption works and is cost prohibitive to break.

Comment

Working...
                      X