Oracle Finally Confirms It's Canning Solaris 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shinger View Post
    I read somewhere that google was planning or it was a rumor i am not sure, that they were planning to use openjdk instead of Java. The whole patent agony isn't really pleasant to deal with it anyway.

Openjdk has matured enough so i have heard. If that indeed is the case, we can EXPECT many more businesses going to use if Oracle wants to kill Java asking money for the use.

Found a link: https://dzone.com/articles/openjdk-is-now-the-time

If openJDK would be adopted by many companies and Java also would die (although sad to see it go away) would be finally also a GREAT step forward from these companies that try to get money from people where ever they can.
    You even have OpenJDK available for Windows: https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2...e-for-windows/

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

OEL is 99% RHEL, so no.
      In fact, Oracle has demonstrated that if they can't copy the OS from someone else, they just kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
        Gpl zfs pleeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!
        I don't know how much that would help. I've used OpenZFS on Linux, and I've used OpenZFS on FreeBSD, and it performs a lot better on FreeBSD. I don't know why it seems more efficient on FreeBSD--whether it is just the implementation or whether there is some fundamental differences between Linux and Solaris that give ZFS on Linux such a large overhead.
        Then again, maybe it could perform better on Linux, if there was more investment on making it work on LInux with a lower overhead, which in turn might be more likely if the license issue was eliminated. Or maybe not--I really don't know why ZFS on Linux performs worse than on FreeBSD.

I'd rather have BTRFS mature to the point where it can fully replace ZFS.

Comment

Another one bites the dust. Okay, its Oracle, after all. Hopefully it would teach arrogant Sun admins a lesson they would never forget. A very good showcase on why its bad idea to depend on something proprietary, coming from single vendor. The only useful outcoome of all this Oracle lunacy.

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
            Very valid point. After all ZFS isn't a part of Linux kernel development, so I wouldn't expect much from it. All out of tree modules I know either perform like crap or cause major system integration woes one way or another. Basically Linux kernel is a moving target. Quickly moving one. So either development follows it closely (and being part of kernel obviously a must in this case) or it just does not performs reasonably whatsoever. It could be bug, or feature, depending on point of view, but that's just how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
              If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.. apt saying. Don't think BTRFS is ever going to get into truly "mature" stage..

Comment

Reading the announcement, I thought it meant that Solaris moves to a rolling-release model instead of spawning a major release with potential backward compatibility breakage.
                But it seems it seems more popular to enjoy the death of any non-Linux OS here :P

Comment

Originally posted by jollyd View Post
                  Reading the announcement, I thought it meant that Solaris moves to a rolling-release model instead of spawning a major release with potential backward compatibility breakage.
                  But it seems it seems more popular to enjoy the death of any non-Linux OS here :P
                  How exactly did you parse the message that makes it a rolling release? It sounds like they have one planned release between now and 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post

How exactly did you parse the message that makes it a rolling release? It sounds like they have one planned release between now and 2021.

Mostly a loose interpretation of the "Continuous Delivery model" announced with incremental "dot-releases" ...

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.. apt saying. Don't think BTRFS is ever going to get into truly "mature" stage..
                      Sure, Facebook isn't mature enough as production environment. Ppl like you would prefer yahoo! That one is mature enough, ofc

Comment

Working...
                      X