Oracle Might Be Canning Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    I worked on Solairs back in about 2004~ and in that era it was known to be a lot more reliable and rugged than Linux was.
    But slower and less flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      Source please.
      You mean you don’t know where you can find it?

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
        You mean you don’t know where you can find it?
        In what way does this link provide proof that Linux owns 99% of FOSS OS market share?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          These memberships mean that MS cares about Linux or FreeBSD, as they pay and get some representation, and as MS did it hundreds of other companies also did it, so statements like "Linux is on it's way out the door" are bullshit.
          I did not issue such statement. And I agree with you that MS does stuff like this in order to get some influence. Just not taking it overly seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
            no more SPARCs and machines based on them?
            Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I doubt anyone would miss them.
            Since Oracle turned SPARC into something abominable, i'd be glad. If anyone wants SPARC machines, they can purchase them from Fujitsu.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Finally. Few years ago someone was saying slowlaris is a dead cow and Ellison is a liar. Thanks oracle for admiting this. This bloated crap is dead since long time.
              Sad enough, that there are so few Competitors left over. The only strong competitor to Linux as data center OS is Windows Server, with which Linux shares a lot of similarities.

Comment

Yeah, right. Then tell me why Linux owns 99% of FOSS OS market share? It seems other FOSS OS have problems.
                These days Admins are extremely stolid in sticking to Windows and "The Windows of the FOSS world" aka Linux and their crummy TCP/IP stacks!

Comment

Honestly Solaris was dead when Oracle bought Sun. They had a load of good developers working on Solaris and doing some great work on Gnome even. They were a contributing member to the open source community and Oracle put it into maintenance mode pretty much. They haven't done anything of worth and I was surprised they were still supporting it in general.

Comment

Yeah, right. Then tell me why Linux owns 99% of FOSS OS market share? It seems other FOSS OS have problems.
                    Your statement is actually utterly meaningless. Solaris is closed source, post-Oracle. You can't even compare it with a Linux while using FOSS as a conditional in the same comparison.

Now, lets leave the "FOSS" out of your statement and tell me the market share percentage figure again, will ya'?

Finally. Few years ago someone was saying slowlaris is a dead cow and Ellison is a liar. Thanks oracle for admiting this. This bloated crap is dead since long time.
                    You mean Linux? Since Linux is suffering under excess bloatcode.. just check the sources of the kernel...
                    Last edited by aht0; 02 January 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                      Since Linux is suffering under excess bloatcode.. just check the sources of the kernel...
                      Funny how you compare sources (which include all the options) rather than binaries (which include only chosen options) ...

Comment

Working...
                      X