Oracle Might Be Canning Solaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
    I'm showing my ignorance here, but what advantages does Solaris have over other Unix-like operating system families? I use both Linux and BSD and can see ups and downs to both of them, but I really have no idea what Solaris offers that the others don't. OpenZFS works well for me on FreeBSD, although it seems to take a performance hit on Linux (even ignoring license issues). Does ZFS work even better in its native operating system than it does on BSD-based OSes? Is there some other feature Solaris has that I'm not aware of that makes it worth using?
    Aww, don't go there - this is the Ford vs Chevy religious war of the *nix world.
    Test signature

Comment

Seems like every OS that gets to call itself “Unix” is either dead or dying ...

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
        no more SPARCs and machines based on them?
        I doubt anyone would miss them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          No wait, I've never seen anyone offering support contracts for CentOS. I was under the impression that the ones needing support would choose RHEL.
          I think the point was that people who run CentOS but need support contracts can easily switch to RedHat. Keeping CentOS up-to-date and largely the same ad RHEL makes such a switch easier, and thus helps RedHat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            I think the point was that people who run CentOS but need support contracts can easily switch to RedHat. Keeping CentOS up-to-date and largely the same ad RHEL makes such a switch easier, and thus helps RedHat.
            Ah ok, makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              No wait, I've never seen anyone offering support contracts for CentOS. I was under the impression that the ones needing support would choose RHEL.
              I'm not sure what else Red Hat has to gain from pumping money into CentOS. Perhaps it's an easy gateway into RHEL, or more shared security patches between the distros? Or perhaps it allows them to make sure CentOS stays compatible with RHEL, so they can push support for other products, such as their middle ware.

Edit:

Indeed that's another way to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I'm not sure what else Red Hat has to gain from pumping money into CentOS. Perhaps it's an easy gateway into RHEL, or more shared security patches between the distros? Or perhaps it allows them to make sure CentOS stays compatible with RHEL, so they can push support for other products, such as their middle ware.
                The plans have been public for a long time

Months after adopting the Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone CentOS, Red Hat is starting to unveil its CentOS plans.

Comment

We use CentOS at work. I think Red Hat is just taking the traditional free software approach. People who know what they're doing probably don't need the additional support but they may contribute back, if not to the OS itself, then to the wider ecosystem. I don't recall doing much for RHEL itself but we've spent countless man hours working on Chef cookbooks that support it.

Comment

at least they continue to maintain virtualbox

Comment

Pretty much. That's what we do at work - development machines run CentOS, while testing environments (and the clients) run RedHat with a support contract.

I suspect that from the RedHat perspective, it's a useful branding split. The actual product is more or less identical, but it's clearer to distinguish "free CentOS vs commercial RedHat" than it is to distinguish "RedHat with or without a support contract".

Comment

Working...
                      X