Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSolaris-Derived Illumos Project Turns Five Years Old

Phoronix: OpenSolaris-Derived Illumos Project Turns Five Years Old

Today marks five years since the announcement of Illumos, the community-based derivative of OpenSolaris to create a fully open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Used solarisx86/opensolaris some years ago in a production environment.
    FYI: The current stable openindiana version is 151a9, dev is 'hipster'.

Some features of openindiana are up today without competition, e.g. bootenv or timeslider, but other things like gpt support waits for completition.

Comment

I can't believe it's already been five years. I tested OpenSolaris when it came out, found it really slow. It made FreeBSD look fast.

The predictions that people made about what would happen after Oracle bought Sun have pretty much all come true. It's pretty sad. It shows that open source products are resilient, but don't really improve unless they have corporate sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        I can't believe it's already been five years. I tested OpenSolaris when it came out, found it really slow. It made FreeBSD look fast.

The predictions that people made about what would happen after Oracle bought Sun have pretty much all come true. It's pretty sad. It shows that open source products are resilient, but don't really improve unless they have corporate sponsors.
        Eh... Let's be honest, the Sun Products are about the last thing to use as proof of that. Sun Microsystems was never a particularly nice upstream and were always as a result really corporate product instead of open source project. Now that said... Corporate sponsors are a vital part of the open source ecosystem because a corporate developer intrinsically has more time to put towards a project, and they're also more willing to work on the crappy drudge work as a result of being paid to do so. At the same time though, there's plenty of examples of projects that do just fine without. See pretty much any of the re-engine and emulator projects.

Comment

Not many use OpenIndiana anymore. Illumos is the OpenSolaris kernel, where openZFS (which Linux/FreeBSD/etc uses) is developed on (and then ported to other OSes). People today use mostly SmartOS or OmniOS - both are OpenSolarish. SmartOS is Illumos with KVM and tailored for virtualization and cloudOS, made by Joyent (founder of NodeJS)

"...Though Joyent has not released official benchmarks rating its new hypervisor, Hoffman claims some ample performance gains. With I/O-bound database workloads, he says, the SmartOS KVM is five to tens times faster than bare metal Windows and Linux (meaning no virtualization), and if you're running something like the Java Virtual Machine or PHP atop an existing bare metal hypervisor and move to SmartOS, he says, you'll see ten to fifty times better performance - though he acknowledges this too will vary depending on workload...."

I suspect he means that if you virtualize 32 bit Windows/Linux on 64 bit Solaris, you can use the plenty Solaris RAM as disk cache, and also Solaris can use 10gbit NICs, etc. This can also be done if you virtualize on another 64-bit OS, but I doubt the performance gains will be that large as Joyent has heavily tampered with SmartOS.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
            "...Though Joyent has not released official benchmarks rating its new hypervisor, Hoffman claims some ample performance gains. With I/O-bound database workloads, he says, the SmartOS KVM is five to tens times faster than bare metal Windows and Linux (meaning no virtualization), and if you're running something like the Java Virtual Machine or PHP atop an existing bare metal hypervisor and move to SmartOS, he says, you'll see ten to fifty times better performance - though he acknowledges this too will vary depending on workload...."
            Sorry for thread necromancy, but that sounds like a load of horse manure. Unless they are sacrificing durability it's insane to say that databases will run 5 times faster since you can get pretty much all the hardware has to offer out of it.

Comment

The OpenIndiana project is frozen down, somehow. Today, if i want an classical Illumos Operating system, i use OmniOS.

On the OI box at home i run the hipster release (which is also a year old). I think, i'll switch it over to OmniOS sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
              X